Sign in to follow this  

Fcr 39 install

Hi guys this has probably been asked and answered many of times so I apologise for this. I've just impulse bought a used fcr39 carb for my 400 sm.what does the install of this carb involve and are there any extra bits I need. From what I've read it's not just a straight swap.and also how would I differentiate a new style fcr to an old one many thanks

What is the source of the carb?  Original equipment from what? if known.

Post a picture.

• Like 1

All I know is he had it on his drz. He said it should be a direct replacement if the manifold is the same size and if I have twin throttle cable

That would be an early model FCR carb known as a slant body. It appears to be an original Suzuki DRZ400E carb.  So anything you need to fit the carb you can buy for the E.  You will need the E cables, the E air filter boot and the E manifold boot and clamps to fit the boots.  If it came off a Suzuki those parts should come with it

Thanks mate that's great information, so will that carb set up right be better then my stock sm carb

The FCR carb will give more performance than the stock carb.  But it really needs a performance exhaust and performance cams to get full potential.  FCR carbs can be a bit tricky to set up correctly and old ones can be warn out - so it is hard to say it it will be an improvement or not.