Sign in to follow this  

XT expansion chamber / pipe removal

Pipe guard did not show up for this season, so we have to get a couple of dents to take out. Any special considerations, things to stay on top of when I attempt to take the expansion chamber / pipe out? Can I re-use the gasket on the exhaust port or will I need news ones?

Owners manual has zil info on that front :(

Use a spring puller hook. Orings should be fine but I ordered some to have on hand. Grease them when reinserting;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/361318792569

Pipe guard did not show up for this season, so we have to get a couple of dents to take out. Any special considerations, things to stay on top of when I attempt to take the expansion chamber / pipe out? Can I re-use the gasket on the exhaust port or will I need news ones?

Owners manual has zil info on that front :(

Does the manual you reference also contain chassis information.  The one I downloaded previously only has the engine.

What type of grease?

Any old grease. Its just to help get them in there without twisting or ripping. They are high temp O rings. They eventually fail. Mine have gone at the 100 hr mark. Cheap to replace. It pays to have a couple of spares on hand so you can replace whenever needed. 

• Like 2

Use a spring puller hook. 

A shoe lace works well also, It will also deflect around objects that a spring puller tool can't. 

The rings last longer if you run a honking bead of copper rtv in front of each ring, it seals, cushions and locks.

A shoe  lace also has the added benefit of not creating a view port to the muscle next to your thumb through the skin when you decide to try to use the spring puller hook on the kickstand spring & it slips.

A shoe lace works well also, It will also deflect around objects that a spring puller tool can't. 

• Like 2