Sign in to follow this  

Failed stator

Is one of the symtoms having the epoxy breaking off the coil and getting in oil? I had some weird stuff in oil that looked like it could have been broken up epoxy.

Could be.  The nylon zip ties like to harden and crank off, could be that.

That's it. Make sure you do the locktite fix when you put the new one in, otherwise you'll be doing it again. Do you have a lightweight flywheel?

I have blue loctite in my tool box and red loctite on the way. Will I have to precompress the bolt holes on the Ricky stator like I read you should do with eBay ones?

Bike is new to me. I don't have a clue if I have lightweight fly wheel. What difference would I notice? I know it'll rev faster but will I have more engine braking? Will the engines smoothness be retained at all revs?

Edited by subaruzi

Which fly wheel would you recommend?

Edited by subaruzi

The question about light weight flywheel was not intended as a recommendation.  Some light weight flywheels were known to be hard on stators.  You don't have one.  Your flywheel is original.

I can not identify the foreign material (small chunks) in the pictures.

What shows up on the filter screen at the bottom of the oil tank is not likely to originate in the motor.  It has to pass thru a pick up screen in the motor and thru the oil pump rotor where it gets crushed up.