Sign in to follow this  

13' Rear Shock Leak?

Hi All,

New to TT but looking forward to getting to know everyone on here and sharing good info.  

I just bought a used 2013 KX450 and after riding a bit noticed a small wet spot on garage floor coming from rear shock after sitting overnight.  I have yet to look thoroughly but curious if this has happened to anyone before and if so where I should be looking first.  I would hate to think it needs to be rebuild already given the seller only had 50 hours on it but not knowing is the scary part for me.  I plan on bringing into shop to have valves check and a tune up but also don't mind doing some work myself given through work I can get parts cheap through our Parts-Unlimited account. 

Any thoughts? Tips? Suggestions.  I'll post pictures once I get home tonight. 

Thanks!

P

Suspension should be done at 20 hours regardless. On the air forks the oil should really be changed every 10 hours. All depends on your riding conditions as well, but shocks and forks will eventually leak. It's rather easy to do suspension, but you will be time, money, and happiness ahead on letting a reputable suspension company take care of your needs.

check to make sure it is not anything coming from any of the vent hoses.  If there is anything on the bottom of the shock, it is time to be freshened up.

50 hours is a lot for a shock. And besides, a shock seal is technically a wear item. A little piece of dirt can toast it. I would keep an eye on it and if it keeps up, get 'er fixed