Sign in to follow this  

Crf 230 out the door price from dealer

Hey everyone, I think I might buy a crf230 soon to putt around the field with while my kids ride their 4 wheelers. It sounds about right for me and I'm only 155 lbs.

The dealers around here have them all listed at about 4100 which is the msrp. Anyone know how low dealers will typically come off this price? There is a possibility I'll get a used one if I can find a nice newer one but wanted to get an idea of the out the door pricing on a new ones. I live in Florida if that helps.

I also have the same question for an Crf250L. The msrp on those is about 4900. Might be more than I need though. Thanks in advance for your help.

If you want to save money buy a used one. It's almost impossible to ruin an air cooled honda. If looks good, sounds good, rides good then it will probably out last you and the previous owner.

• Like 2

If you want to save money buy a used one. It's almost impossible to ruin an air cooled honda. If looks good, sounds good, rides good then it will probably out last you and the previous owner.

The 230s are dang near bullet proof, just like their XR older brothers.  I bought mine, a 2009, for $1700.  It was completely stock, right down to the air intake baffle and exhaust insert.  It currently shows no signs of stopping.

Agreed.  A like-new CRF230 can be had for $1,500 to $2,000.  From what I have seen the older ones were of higher quality.  My buddy's 2004 engine is cleaner and quieter than my 2009.  His engine finish is XR200 quality.  Mine is not.

I picked up a clean 2006 with a nice selection of mods done by the competent previous owner for $1900.  I don't feel tempted to get new when clean used bikes show up near me fairly often.

Good luck!

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1451343505.616652.jpg

$1400.00 about 6 years ago on Craigslist

2005 CRF230f completely bone stock with bent handle bars, bent clutch lever and twisted forks.

Apparently daughter fell off once and refused to ride it ever again.

After he accepted my offer, he told me He had about three offers for it for the same price I paid and refused them, but finally gave up and sold it to me because I offered the same as everyone else did and figured he was not going to get a better offer than that.

Lucky me in my opinion.

I paid $1,400 for a near mint (bone stock) 2003 230F and wouldn't sell it for any amount of money. 

The 230F pulls like a freight train, very dependable, reliable, low maintenance, and completely bullet proof.

Best bike for fun hands down.

Good luck.

JL

Thanks for the replies everyone. I very well might end up with a used one. There aren't a ton for sale right around here. Just curious what kinda leeway there is price wise for new dirt bikes like this at the dealership. I have never purchased a new dirt bike or atv. With new car buying I'm pretty good at working the price down. I just don't have any experience with new dirt bikes.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I very well might end up with a used one. There aren't a ton for sale right around here. Just curious what kinda leeway there is price wise for new dirt bikes like this at the dealership. I have never purchased a new dirt bike or atv. With new car buying I'm pretty good at working the price down. I just don't have any experience with new dirt bikes.

if you wanna get new I'd buy the previous year or call around and find who has a year or a few year old model still for sale and offer them and haggle , I mean they didn't sell it for a couple years and it's Mint . But I saw a 230f , 06 for 750 bucks near me . Obviously needed some work but ended up being a bit to far away

New is nice. Bought mine brand new back in 2007. I know how it's been treated and maintained. Also felt what each modification did for it.

Most people buy these bikes for their wife or son and they sell it once they out grow it. It's very unlikely modified or treated badly. Beginner bikes are a safer bet than race bikes when buying them used. Ofcourse you are taking a chance but it's very unlikely that you will get a bad deal. You will save couple of thousands which could fix any potential problem with the bike. If there is a serious problem with the bike you will be able to tell. These bikes are built to last and a 2005 and newer is just like new.

The thing with the $5000 price tag on the 250l is that its street legal so that alone will drive the cost up.

MSRP is $4199,  destination is $320, dealer document fees (covers title/mso filing) $125+,  tax (NC) 304.36  out the door starts at $4948.36 that's the figure you have to work from.  Most dealers will sacrifice the destination when pushed hard enough, in NC they legally have to charge their document fee the same on every transaction (can and will vary from dealer to dealer).  Honda isn't currently running any bonus buck on the CRF230 which could be used as a down payment if they were.  There's not a lot of mark up on the 4199 price tag either, although dealers do get a sort of rebate at the end of the year (not hold back like an auto dealer though).  Just info if you do decide to buy new,  like everyone said though there are tons of great deals on used ones out there and they are pretty bullet proof.

• Like 1

Well I think you all have sold me on just getting a used one. Thanks for all the info. Is Craigslist the best place to look? These 230s are kind of sparse on Craigslist near me but these are a couple. I also checked eBay and cycle trader and those don't have any used Crf 230 options near me right now.

Didn't mean to deter you from getting a new one,  just wanted to make sure you knew what you were getting in to LOL.  On that note, I work at a dealership, can get one at cost, and still bought a used one.  IMO you can't go wrong,  unless you just have to have a new one.

• Like 1

Craigslist is good so long as you have a certain tolerance for stupidity on occasion.  I'm not sure where you are in FL, but here were the results of a quick search in Gainsville (and surrounding area):

https://staugustine.craigslist.org/mcy/5376448762.html

https://gainesville.craigslist.org/mcy/5360237369.html

Both of those bikes appear to be priced right and worthy of a first hand look.

Buy used +1000     Think of it this way, for difference in price you could put a Hagon shock on, do the forks, and do piston/cam/CDI box combo AND even buy a pipe!!!! You probably still have enough to get "REAL" tires and top notch chain and sprockets. So you end up with a very good bike that Honda should have built in first place and it will last nearly as long as bone stock and have stronger  power and better/safer suspension.

• Like 6

Baglock, I just bought the 2006 crf230f in your second link for $1500.00. It's in great shape and seems to be running perfectly. This is just what I was looking for. Thanks for all the help folks.

• Like 2

Baglock, I just bought the 2006 crf230f in your second link for $1500.00. It's in great shape and seems to be running perfectly. This is just what I was looking for. Thanks for all the help folks.

Congratulations! now you have saved 2000+ to spend on some sweet sweet goodies.