Sign in to follow this  

Front wheel washing out

Hey, I'm new to dirt bikes. Currently on a 2011 CRF450R. Having some dramas controlling the front end. Seems to skid out when going around berms. Only riding on the local track, not racing yet. Have played around with tyre pressures. Any and all tips are very welcome. Cheers

Try going out 2 on compression and in 2 on rebound ( for washing not "tucking")

I have been riding dirt bikes and still can tell the difference between washing out and tucking.

I have been riding dirt bikes and still can tell the difference between washing out and tucking.

Tucking- bike over steers, cuts corner so fast you literally go over the bars, high side

Washing out- bike slides out beneath you, low side

Tucking- bike over steers, cuts corner so fast you literally go over the bars, high side

Washing out- bike slides out beneath you, low side

so in tucking the front tire doesn't lose traction?

Edited by 91kdx25088

Okay, what I mean by "washing out" is the front tyre slides away from me and yes there is a bit of over steering. Please keep in mind I'm relatively new to this and I can't say if the suspension is set up for me properly. I'm yet to get to that part.

Start with the basics, set ur sag etc before just clicking away. Springs for ur weight? All makes a HUGE difference in corner handling.

It may be as simple as entry speed being too fast or the bike not being leaned over far enough. The faster the approach dex, the further you need to lean. Start slowly and get the technique correct before increasing your speed

What type of dirt and what psi are you running. Without knowing your setup, have you tried 12-14? I used to keep mine way higher...bike handled just like you describe.

I run 11 psi on a mx32 front... my bet is body position on seat.

• Like 1

Start with the basics, set ur sag etc before just clicking away. Springs for ur weight? All makes a HUGE difference in corner handling.

Don't ignore this advice.  If your sag is wrong your front wheel will slide out even if you have everything else right.  If the sag is correct you could try raising the forks in the triple clamps about 3mm.  It will make a noticeable difference.

Keep your weight forward and elbows up.

My advice is pull out your bike manual and look at all the stock clicker settings. Check/reset every suspension setting to stock. Get a sag scale measure and adjust to stock setting. Measure fork height set to stock. Since your a new to the sport I don't think it's your entry speed... If it still washes out then work on your turning technique.

Remember if you decide to adjust your suspension away from stock then only change one setting a time then go out and test.

• Like 1

Go make a figure 8 track. And practice that. In a few weeks you should improve tons. Laying off the front brake in the corner and see if that help you. Play around with it. It take time but the figure eight or turn track will speed up your learning curve big time.

• Like 2

Get up on the seat and learn to control the front brake, clutch and throttle in unison.

If you cannot do this then it doesn't matter how good your suspension, tire pressure, etc. is. 

I agree I think your sag is out of whack bad. But I used MXA's recommendations for my bike and I love, repeat, love them. Here they are for yours.

For hardcore racing, these are MXA‘s recommended 2011 Honda CRF450 fork settings (with the stiffer fork springs installed):

Spring rate: 0.49 kg/mm (0.46 stock)

Oil height: 355cc

Compression: 12 clicks out (13 stock)

Rebound: 8 clicks out

Fork leg height: Flush with clamps

Notes: If you want to keep the stock fork springs, slide the forks as far down into the triple clamps as possible to raise the front of the chassis.

For hardcore racing, these are MXA‘s recommended 2011 CRF450 shock settings:

Spring rate: 5.4 kg/mm

Race sag: 105mm

Hi-compression: 2 turns out (1-1/2 stock)

Lo-compression: 14 clicks out

Rebound: 14 clicks out

Notes: If you plan to race it with the stock fork springs, set the race sag at 110mm (or maybe even 115mm). Once you put the stiffer fork springs in place, set the sag at 105mm. This is not a suspension fix, but it addresses balance issues.