Sign in to follow this  

Question for broken leg

I am coming off a spiral fractured tibia. Happened in July and still not 100%.

My question is, if I get any fast impacts (little bumps when riding mountain bike) I feel a little jolt or something on the sides of my legs. Is this normal? I ride my MTB with my walking boot on and it doesn't happen then. The x Ray looks fully healed.

Can provide pictures if needed

Edited by jay bird1138

Jay Bird - I am sorry to hear about your injury!  Just curious if you have had a chance to foam roll your shins and calves?  If the jolt is on the outside of the muscles, it sounds like soft tissue on the front of the shin or back of the leg.  CLICK HERE for some foam rolling exercises if you don't have your own routine.  Please keep me posted if you have completed some soft tissue work and how your body responds to the work.

Yours in sport and health,

-Coach Robb

Jay Bird - I am sorry to hear about your injury! Just curious if you have had a chance to foam roll your shins and calves? If the jolt is on the outside of the muscles, it sounds like soft tissue on the front of the shin or back of the leg. CLICK HERE for some foam rolling exercises if you don't have your own routine. Please keep me posted if you have completed some soft tissue work and how your body responds to the work.

Yours in sport and health,

-Coach Robb

Sorry, I didn't see this. Didn't get a notification. Thank you very much for the recommendations! It has gotten a little bit better. I can feel it a little bit by lightly hitting my heal into the ground with toes on the floor when sitting. I can feel it on both sides of the front of my shin, where it broke. ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1452047266.526106.jpg

Where my fingers are

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1452047291.556580.jpg

Latest X-ray.

It looks like it ihas healed with  a rotational deformity.  A CT scan can make that determinaiton.

It looks like it ihas healed with a rotational deformity. A CT scan can make that determinaiton.

Oh shit... What does that mean

And I already had a CT scan probably 3 months into the recovery. Would they of caught it then? I though my ankle was a little crooked at first but thought it was just the way they put on the cast.

Thanks

Edited by jay bird1138

The fracture loos like it healed crooked-The lower fragment is externally or outwardly rotated.  A CT will confim that.  If so, and continued problems exist, the bone needs to be cut and straightened.

I'm in a similar situation with a spiral fractured tibia. I broke mine early August, had a splint for 2 weeks, cast for 2 weeks and walking boot since. I started walking on it October 17th and began transitioning out of the boot December 14th. I am currently out of the boot and walking. Still in some pain but it's manageable. My biggest concern is the swelling. The only shoes I can wear are my Sperry top-sider's and by the end of the day, my ankle is swelling over the top of the shoe. Is this normal? What is normal swelling for 5 months in? I did not have surgery and in the x-rays the bone appears to be healed. Do I need to do anything for the swelling or is this normal? I attached the original x-rays, I don't have the current one.

Thanks!! ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1452199863.759944.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1452199927.811047.jpg

I'm in a similar situation with a spiral fractured tibia. I broke mine early August, had a splint for 2 weeks, cast for 2 weeks and walking boot since. I started walking on it October 17th and began transitioning out of the boot December 14th. I am currently out of the boot and walking. Still in some pain but it's manageable. My biggest concern is the swelling. The only shoes I can wear are my Sperry top-sider's and by the end of the day, my ankle is swelling over the top of the shoe. Is this normal? What is normal swelling for 5 months in? I did not have surgery and in the x-rays the bone appears to be healed. Do I need to do anything for the swelling or is this normal? I attached the original x-rays, I don't have the current one.

Thanks!! 📎ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1452199863.759944.jpg📎ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1452199927.811047.jpg

Mine was a few inches above yours. Didn't have much swelling except for maybe first 2-3 months and I think when I got my walking boot there wasn't as much pressure and more blood was flowing to it at first. Just my theory, no idea at all though. Didn't have any swelling at 5 months I don't think. See what dr mark thinks and if you have another appt, ask your doctor.

Yea, that's why I'm a little worried. Ok, I look forward to hearing his thoughts

Yea, that's why I'm a little worried. Ok, I look forward to hearing his thoughts

Did you do some googling? You can have a little bit of an understanding with that. Can't determine for sure, but get an idea. Do you have any appointments with the doc left? And just out of curiosity how'd ya do it? Looks like a good one

I have an appointment Wednesday but I'm becoming a little concerned. Everything I have found on google really has not told me much, that's actually how I came across this forum.

Yea, it's pretty bad when you go to the dr and they tell you thank you for showing them your break!! I actually had a shoe blowout on a wet curb. Not exciting at all. What about you?

My spiral tib/fib was way back in March, and it's still sore. And, I can't run, although I think that's due to soft tissue damage. Mine was a little different in that I had a rod implanted, but just thought I'd throw out my $.02 regarding time to heal. When I ride my mtb, my leg is pretty sore the next day.

leg.jpg

That looks rough!! Thanks for the info! I did not have surgery but I was forewarned it would be 6 months before I was really able to do a whole lot.

Does you leg swell when you ride?

I have an appointment Wednesday but I'm becoming a little concerned. Everything I have found on google really has not told me much, that's actually how I came across this forum.

Yea, it's pretty bad when you go to the dr and they tell you thank you for showing them your break!! I actually had a shoe blowout on a wet curb. Not exciting at all. What about you?

Wow that sounds pretty badass to me! Mine wasn't much better, about a 4 ft table top in my friends backyard I've been over 1,000+ times but decided to over jump that time and I looped it out.

My spiral tib/fib was way back in March, and it's still sore. And, I can't run, although I think that's due to soft tissue damage. Mine was a little different in that I had a rod implanted, but just thought I'd throw out my $.02 regarding time to heal. When I ride my mtb, my leg is pretty sore the next day.

leg.jpg

That's a good one! Just for the record, what'd u do Edited by jay bird1138

That looks rough!! Thanks for the info! I did not have surgery but I was forewarned it would be 6 months before I was really able to do a whole lot.

Does you leg swell when you ride?

I had a fair amount of edema up until recently, but I still have a bit. My dr said I'll probably have a little swelling for a whole year! I haven't noticed if it swells after riding my mtb, but I imagine it does.

That's a good one! Just for the record, what'd u do

Crashed in Baja... ride report here. The good stuff starts at post #53.

I had a fair amount of edema up until recently, but I still have a bit. My dr said I'll probably have a little swelling for a whole year! I haven't noticed if it swells after riding my mtb, but I imagine it does.

Crashed in Baja... ride report here. The good stuff starts at post #53.

Dang! Didn't read the whole thread but looked like a sick ride! How far into it did it happen? The end? It would really suck if it was the beginning.

The worst thing about breaking my leg is I was goin riding to a new place the next day! I was so pissed about that, I tried to convince myself it wasn't broken. But nope, just had to break before the ride.

Dang! Didn't read the whole thread but looked like a sick ride! How far into it did it happen? The end? It would really suck if it was the beginning.

The worst thing about breaking my leg is I was goin riding to a new place the next day! I was so pissed about that, I tried to convince myself it wasn't broken. But nope, just had to break before the ride.

Day 3 of a 3-4 week ride!

It was a crazy day because there were riots in Baja where I was riding that day. (Don't read the whole thing- it's boring. But post #53 is pretty interesting.)

OK, enough of a thread-jack... back to the broken legs.

• Like 1

Jay bird how bad would you rate the jolts when they occur? I ask because you are 6 months out and from my personal experiences with fractures you are going to have odd feelings for a long time. I had a left distal radius fracture that had to be plated. For about a year after the surgery my wrist would intermittently throb and remind me that it was once broken. It still reminds me occasionally but its tolerable. I am no doctor but I think that your still experiencing part of the healing process. Personally if it's something that you can live with then I would give it more time.

Jay bird how bad would you rate the jolts when they occur? I ask because you are 6 months out and from my personal experiences with fractures you are going to have odd feelings for a long time. I had a left distal radius fracture that had to be plated. For about a year after the surgery my wrist would intermittently throb and remind me that it was once broken. It still reminds me occasionally but its tolerable. I am no doctor but I think that your still experiencing part of the healing process. Personally if it's something that you can live with then I would give it more time.

Very tolerable. I would say it is the equivalent of a light "thump" with your fists on both sides

Glad to hear that but i can see your reason for concern. I think time will solve it for you.

• Like 1