Sign in to follow this  

Vinyl wrap?

Anybody here have any experience with wrapping and have advise on the process? I purchased some vivid wrap and ran some trial runs on a rad shroud... Needless to say it turned out like shit. Tips?

Anybody here have any experience with wrapping and have advise on the process? I purchased some vivid wrap and ran some trial runs on a rad shroud... Needless to say it turned out like shit. Tips?

I'm wraping mine with Vivid XPO.  It's not perfect but good!  It's really hard to wrap the front fender.  Rear one is easier.  Both side panel completed excluding airbox cap.  I've got really good result on side panel. 

Next I try the rad shroud... after the airbox cover.

Any pics?

Soapy water / Windex is your friend!

I've had luck soaking down the panel and placing the decal straight upon it (the wetter the better (that's what she said)!).  This will allow you to "float" it into position and once you're happy, start from the center and squeegee the moisture from between it and the panel. That's pretty much it in my book.  Pic is of my newest #'s. Good luck.

IMAG2651.jpg

I'm wraping mine with Vivid XPO. It's not perfect but good! It's really hard to wrap the front fender. Rear one is easier. Both side panel completed excluding airbox cap. I've got really good result on side panel.

Next I try the rad shroud... after the airbox cover.

Any pics?

no pics yet I'll post some up for the second try

ive vinyl wrapped my tanks and some fenders on my bikes.   Its a total pain in the ass when you first start out.   constant readjusting.   use a heat gun, not a blow drier.  the vinly wrap on my drz 400 tank is holding up fine.  i dont think it wouldve last one my side panels or radiator shrouds.  vinyl really shows off the curves on a bike in my opinion.  

ive tried the wraps from advanced auto just for fun and theyre okay but not like 3m vinyl premium wrap. heres 2 pictures of my vstrom.  i had a few random pieces so i just pieced them all together as best i can.

20150920_113710.jpg

20150816_223242.jpg

• Like 1

Using a heat gun really helps alot,you can get it to stretch and form to the contours pretty well. And trim the excess with a good razor blade.I also use 3M

20151108_124003.jpg

• Like 1

Hydrographics work best. Vinyl wrapping is a GIANT pain in the you know. I do vinyl work and hate it hence why I spent a few grand and bought a dip tank and stuff as wrapping bike stuff BLOWS.

Here is a job I did on a WR250 in real camo. Only issue with hydro is you can't design the film.

10665143_811938762161063_591548836478759 

HEre's a swing arm.10703937_605143016263642_259117722419694

Here's some hoops

10525840_580533482057929_721834545524124

But like has been mentioned on the wrapping, lots of mild soapy water and a real heat gun 😉

• Like 4

Hydrographics work best. Vinyl wrapping is a GIANT pain in the you know. I do vinyl work and hate it hence why I spent a few grand and bought a dip tank and stuff as wrapping bike stuff BLOWS.

Here is a job I did on a WR250 in real camo. Only issue with hydro is you can't design the film.

10665143_811938762161063_591548836478759

HEre's a swing arm.10703937_605143016263642_259117722419694

Here's some hoops

10525840_580533482057929_721834545524124

But like has been mentioned on the wrapping, lots of mild soapy water and a real heat gun 😉

that looks top notch... Hmm I know a guy that does hydro dips might have to look into that. I just wanted to do the wraps due to the cheapness of the materials.

that looks top notch... Hmm I know a guy that does hydro dips might have to look into that. I just wanted to do the wraps due to the cheapness of the materials.

Thanks!

In all honesty, the dipping will last longer than the wrap. Who ever does the dipping, make sure they add the elasticizer for the primer and the clear coats as plastics twist and bend all the time and without it the primer or clear will crack.. There is another cost as that stupid stuff is costly for just a pint. 

Once I get the bearings changed on my backup swingarm I will post up a pic for you.

• Like 2

Oh, here is that same WR after 3 months and just after a 50 mile poker run.

10628180_848085661879706_446211176686971

Looks great Debi! 👍

Is it removable like a wrap? Can it work on a plastic gas tank?

Looks great Debi! 👍

Is it removable like a wrap? Can it work on a plastic gas tank?

No not removable and I highly doubt it will work on a plastic tank as the tank needs to breath. Hence why most graphics don't last to long on the tanks.

But you can repaint and put new on over the old.

Edited by Debi

No not removable and I highly doubt it will work on a plastic tank as the tank needs to breath. Hence why most graphics don't last to long on the tanks.

But you can repaint and put new on over the old.

So....Debi.....How much do you charge to do something like that?

So....Debi.....How much do you charge to do something like that?

For full plastics kit about 250 up if the plastics are new and about 400 up if they are old, I have to remove old graphics and prep. Old plastics take a lot of prep time to get all the scratching out and the graphics glue. Hoops 400 but if I have to unlace and re-lace 700.

• Like 1