Sign in to follow this  

Pillow top grip install help

hey guys

My girlfriend got me a set of the pro taper pillow top grips for my bike. I cut my old grips off. I forced on the new grips. It seems like they are a little short? Have I done something wrong? Here are a couple of pictures.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

hey guys

My girlfriend got me a set of the pro taper pillow top grips for my bike. I cut my old grips off. I forced on the new grips. It seems like they are a little short? Have I done something wrong? Here are a couple of pictures.

They do not look on all the way to me ... the throttle side needs fitted over that plastic. I'm sure you noticed that the grips are made specifically for each side. Also I notice you are from Maine and grips can be hard to install when they are cold. Most people soak them in very hot water before installing. Maybe a blow dryer or heat gun would help ... 

post-434641-0-64706400-1451412905.jpeg

This is how mine look ..............  But I also have the ends cut off for the guards 

index.php?app=core&module=attach&section

OK I will look at them again.

Dumb question how do I tell which side is for which?

I better try to get them both off and start over. I swear I'm right up to the end of the red parrt on each end.

Well I got them on. I didn't have them pushed on fat enough. The left one went on great. The throttle side sucked. I had to actually trim down the round part after I got it on because it was causing my throttle to bind. Doesn't look as good as I would like but my hands are raw and I give up. I think if I can get one of those foam round spacer pieces I could put that in there and it would look great.

Next time you put on grips get out your air compressor and blow air down the sides of the grip while you are pushing it on.  Also you can use a bit of wd40 to help lubricate.  Once the grip is on use the compressor to dry any remaining WD40 between the grips and the throttle tube.  

Do NOT use WD-40, it will not dry and your grip can and will slide off at a very bad time, ask me how I know...🙂

I use spray paint, squirt a little in the grip and it will slide right on. It will also be a modest glue to keep it in place. It works for me, my brother continually spins his grips regardless of how we install them, YMMV.

Ladies hair spray works as a lubricant too, with glue effect once dried to help keep in place.

Another one is washing up liquid (as called here in the UK) it evaporates within a couple of hours once grips in place.

Do NOT use WD-40, it will not dry and your grip can and will slide off at a very bad time, ask me how I know... 🙂

I use spray paint, squirt a little in the grip and it will slide right on. It will also be a modest glue to keep it in place. It works for me, my brother continually spins his grips regardless of how we install them, YMMV.

I have never had a problem with WD40.  In fact the last set I replaced I had to cut off.

Well I got them on. Throttle side looks kinda like it has been through war. Lol I had to trim down the big round rubber part. It was causing my throttle to bind. So I just ordered a set of grip donuts to help hide the ugliness.

• Like 1

Ladies hair spray works as a lubricant too, with glue effect once dried to help keep in place.

Another one is washing up liquid (as called here in the UK) it evaporates within a couple of hours once grips in place.

Looks like you've got it knocked out now but I also use a cheap bottle of hair spray for this.  It lubes the bar/throttle tube well enough but dries sticky.

• Like 1

Aquanet hairspray or something like Rustoleum clear enamel sprayed into the grip works for me.  Gives you time to position the grips on the bars but sticks like glue once it sets up.  Will work in all but serious hardcore applications in which you might want to go with something else.

• Like 1

Well I got them on. Throttle side looks kinda like it has been through war. Lol I had to trim down the big round rubber part. It was causing my throttle to bind. So I just ordered a set of grip donuts to help hide the ugliness.

where are the updated pic's ....  😏

Hello i am new to this and I had to create an account because i wanted to talk to you about this.  I am having the same problem with my crf250l grips.  I recently got zeta armour handguards and during installation ran into the same problem with the throttle grip side.  It seems like the honda throttle tube has an end that aftermarket grips cannot fit on.  If you stretch the grips over it, it causes the rubber handguard to bend either in or out and binds the throttle up.  I went through 2 different grips already with same problem.  I just ordered the OEM replacement throttle grip and will see if i can modify them to work.  It seems like the throttle tube and grip are one piece from Hoda and that may be for a reason.  Does anyone else here have any info on this?

Hello i am new to this and I had to create an account because i wanted to talk to you about this.  I am having the same problem with my crf250l grips.  I recently got zeta armour handguards and during installation ran into the same problem with the throttle grip side.  It seems like the honda throttle tube has an end that aftermarket grips cannot fit on.  If you stretch the grips over it, it causes the rubber handguard to bend either in or out and binds the throttle up.  I went through 2 different grips already with same problem.  I just ordered the OEM replacement throttle grip and will see if i can modify them to work.  It seems like the throttle tube and grip are one piece from Hoda and that may be for a reason.  Does anyone else here have any info on this?

I have pillow top grips and they fit just fine. (see pic above)  But, I had them installed so I do not know what the guy had to do to make them work

When I put my grips on I used a knife and cut off all the raised grips on the throttle tube. I also cut a bit of a chamfer on the throttle grip opening to fit better. For glue I use Renthal grip glue. Lubes when wet, and dries quickly... I never try and reuse the grips, so I cut the grips off, and the glue pretty much all goes with the grip.

• Like 2

I put pillowtops on my bike a few years ago went on great with grip glue. Heat em up first with a hair dryer or leave em in the sun on a summer day or somethin.

• Like 1

dgrigorenko I appreciate your response and i am definatly going to try to cut the raised parts on the throttle tube.  i will attemt this tomorrow and post how it goes. thanks man.