Sign in to follow this  

Was the Ktm 200 a good deal?

I just bought a 2007 ktm 200xc. I'm 16 and a 07 is as new as I could afford. I bought it for 2500 knowing that it need a new sprocket, chain, spoke tuning, and rear wheel bearing. Which at my shop cost about 200-250. I took it in to have the stuff done and the rear wheel was shot. The guy I bought it from had rode it without tightening the spokes and it ruined the wheel. The new wheel is going to be about 400. So I'll have about 3200 in it. Is this a bad deal? Should I just sell it or get the work done and hope for the best?

I just bought a 2007 ktm 200xc. I'm 16 and a 07 is as new as I could afford. I bought it for 2500 knowing that it need a new sprocket, chain, spoke tuning, and rear wheel bearing. Which at my shop cost about 200-250. I took it in to have the stuff done and the rear wheel was shot. The guy I bought it from had rode it without tightening the spokes and it ruined the wheel. The new wheel is going to be about 400. So I'll have about 3200 in it. Is this a bad deal? Should I just sell it or get the work done and hope for the best?

KBB suggested value is $2300 for a bike in excellent condition. i personally won't pay over KBB value. at this point you should do the required repairs and just enjoy it. if you fix it then try to sell it I think you may not be able to recoup any of the repair costs. 

the real question is how many hours are on the bike. is engine top end needing to be rebuilt ($150 for a piston kit...assuming the cylinder is ok). if it was ridden alot then you may also need a lower end rebuild.

in regards to the rear wheel...is the rim cracked? why do they say it is ruined?

I don't think it was a bad deal for the bike.  KBB is just a number, depending on the market a bike may sell for a lot more (or less) than what KBB says it "should be."  There are few older KTMs in the Northwest that will sell at or below their KBB value.  For here in MT what you paid is the going market for a fair 200.

As markmc2 says, I do question the cost of the repairs, and what may actually be ruined.

I'd be happy with the purchase given that you're only 16. Lots cheaper than a new bike. Good enough. Enjoy!

That price sounds more than fair to me. I would look at local market value and not even consider what KBB says whether it's higher or lower, again that price sounds better than fair to me. 

If the rear wheel is really shot- $2500 might be a little high.

They sell for quite a lot around here.

You could look for a good used wheel- or if the wheel just cannot be trued anymore- just ride it for awhile and save up money for a replacement. (Or a new rim)

Depends if the hub was damaged.

From the OPs statement about loose spokes, I'm guessing the hub holes have been elongated. The hub is probably shot. Shop around on CL, used wheels can be found for 250-300. Check them carefully. Might save yourself the cost of a new one, plus bearings... Wheels from 2002-2015 should fit...

$2500 would be reasonable here in Ca. I've seen them in the $3500 range for the same year bike on CL...

EBay your rear wheel, they have been around for sometime so shop much and spend little.

2007 XC was a great year and a great bike.  Last year of the smaller chassis.

Around CA a well sorted out one is around $3000, that would be a bike that doesn't really need anything (top end good, wheels/bearings good, etc).

So you didn't get a bargain, but you didn't get ripped off either.  Fix it.  Ride it!  

• Like 1