2014 YZ450f with rebuilt engine?

Been thinking about buying either a YZ 450 or maybe even a new FX. Found a '14 that has about 34 hours on it. When it had 17 hours on it there was an oil pump failure. The owner subsequently replaced the crank and bearings (Hot Rods), new Cylinder Works jug, and put on a GYTR ported head. He still has the original parts and says the orig cylinder is still in good shape.

Would you guys run from this?? Is the oil pump a weak link for that year??

From what I can tell the bike is in great shape and has all the right goodies on it. He may even be willing to take my 08 YZ 250 (295) smoker plus some cash.

Walk away from anything with a hotrods crank. I've personally seen way to many friends lose a motor to one. Hot rods will tell you after 10hrs to check it. And replace at 20hrs. Pure garbage.

It's a cheap fix tho. Just buy a new oem crank. If you can instal it it's cheap. If not find a buddy.

A shop will want a arm and a leg to fix it

• Like 1

Walk away from anything with a hotrods crank. I've personally seen way to many friends lose a motor to one. Hot rods will tell you after 10hrs to check it. And replace at 20hrs. Pure garbage.

It's a cheap fix tho. Just buy a new oem crank. If you can instal it it's cheap. If not find a buddy.

A shop will want a arm and a leg to fix it

Are you sure about that? That is news to me.

I am just saying that your info was false. No need to tear down a motor just because it has a hot rods crank in it. Maybe your friends are all just crappy mechanics.

Seriously ask any real motor builder to put a hot rods in your motor. Most will tell you to take it somewhere else.

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1451434731.894437.jpg

We build 30k drag quads. You don't think we know how to rebuild a motor lol.

Good luck with your hot rods.

Check yfz central , yfz tech, raptor hq, modded raptor. All those sites are filled with hot rods cranks. They are junk in Hondas also.

• Like 1

Seriously ask any real motor builder to put a hot rods in your motor. Most will tell you to take it somewhere else.

📎ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1451434731.894437.jpg

We build 30k drag quads. You don't think we know how to rebuild a motor lol.

Good luck with your hot rods.

Check yfz central , yfz tech, raptor hq, modded raptor. All those sites are filled with hot rods cranks. They are junk in Hondas also.

Your right no real builder that produces high HP bikes do Mickey Mouse cranks.

Stock crank with a Carillo or Falcon rod yes.

Edited by stevethe
  • Like 1

A few image results don't really tell me anything. I'm not saying they don't go bad. Search for oem and you will find issues too. I searched and found some instances of hot rod cranks going bad - most of them in built motors. The incident rate seems pretty small overall.