Sign in to follow this  

Crf450r overheating problem

Hello I have a 2007 crf450r and I just replaced the water pump seals. I've never checked before but my stock water pump cover get hot after about 5 minutes of idling. Is this normal?

you should've replaced the shaft and bearing too, its a 2007.  Did you make sure it was lined up properly when you put it back on?

you can't let this motor (or any dirt bike motor without a fan) idle anywhere near that long.. 

Agreed^^all the coolant is going through your block and into the pump,so the pump is gonna get hot

Yes everything is lined up properly. And I only let it idle for the engine to warm up because u don't wanna start the bike and then start riding it right after right?

Yes everything is lined up properly. And I only let it idle for the engine to warm up because u don't wanna start the bike and then start riding it right after right?

a better idea is to warm the bike up for a 2 minutes or so (feel the top of the radiator), shut it off, then go put your gear on.. this lets the motor heat soak a bit and get all the bits warm right down to the crank shaft. Pistons and cylinders expand at different rates as it heats up, so let it heat up nicely by sitting there (engine off) after running a bit. I do this all the time. Agreed. I don't like running my bikes right after i start em.  

Edited by MELK-MAN