Clutch Help!

So I own a 2010 CRF250r and the clutch is very grabby and engages only at the very end of releasing the clutch lever. It's grabby because very little clutch lever movement is required to go from disengaged to engaged. The upper adjuster (by the handlebars) is out all the way so is there any other way to adjust this or does it need new clutch plate? Thanks!!

So I own a 2010 CRF250r and the clutch is very grabby and engages only at the very end of releasing the clutch lever. It's grabby because very little clutch lever movement is required to go from disengaged to engaged. The upper adjuster (by the handlebars) is out all the way so is there any other way to adjust this or does it need new clutch plate? Thanks!!

Can you take a picture of your clutch lever un-engaged with a clear view of both cable adjustments on top of the bars?

• Like 1

Pull and release the handlebar lever while observing the lever (forget what it's called) on the case. Does it have nice smooth continuous movement or is it notchy and/or only move towards the end of the handlebar lever travel? What I'm getting at is you may have a dirty cable that needs cleaning and lubing or possibly a kink somewhere. Move the lever on the case through its full travel using your hand and make sure it moves through virtually the same amount when using the handlebar lever. If the amount of travel is significantly less when using the handlebar lever, then I would suspect a dirty, kinked, or mal-adjusted cable. If the travel is the same, then something internal has gone awry as suggested by others.

Edited by mossman77

Had the same problem with my Yami when it was put back together. I put the lever adjuster in the middle of it's adjustment range and made up the slack with the barrel adjuster in the cable itself. You can't shorten the cable so if your clutch is grabbing too late you'll want to adjust the barrel out, effectively lengthening the cable. By taking up this slack in the cable you will still have a bit of adjustability left at the lever for on trail adjustments. Good luck.

Edited by zderekv

I would say new clutch kit on my bike the bike was grabby at the very end and when I took the clutch out it looked like it had plenty of life but when I installed the new clutch it was grabbing instantly might of been the clutch plates I went with apico steel plates which are great

I'm not sure you are understanding what people are telling you. Your issue could very well be that your clutch cable is out of adjustment, dirty, or kinked such that your clutch is not operating properly. Maybe it IS the clutch, but the logical thing to do is to check, clean, lube, and adjust your cable before resorting to more intrusive steps such as pulling your clutch apart. You said you have the adjuster adjusted fully in one direction, which makes me think something is wrong with the cable not the clutch. You won't know until you do what we're suggesting. As I said earlier, do the easiest thing first (check, clean, adjust cable) then if necessary drain your oil, pull and inspect your clutch.

• Like 1