Sign in to follow this  

Midvalve tuning

What effect you think it would have to stiffen the midvalve a little and soften the compression LSC? Im still tweaking my forks (2013 kx450f g2r gold valve kit). Except for nraking and accel bumps it feels great in the track, i took bike to small practice track/trail and the rough stuff wow felt like i was on a rigid frame bike. Also anybody understand the restrictor valving on these gold valves? I sort of understand the theory but not sure what changing it around would do in real life.

Mine felt like that ,I removed one face shim from mid amd it was great ,try that first

Its an easy fix so ill try it and see what it does. I reduced the oil by 15cc and it helped and still doesnt bottom but ill try the face shim hopefully get to try it this weekend. You kkow the difference in what RT calls the MV and MVP stack?

Race Tech refers to :

MV     as the mid-valve dampening stack

MVP   as the mid-valve packing stack, basically just spacers which adjust's the midvalve's float gap 

Edited by mlatour

Ok cool so the only stack that does something is the MV stack. They called for .8mm float also which is what i have been runnin. Ill attemp one change at a time tho lol and take away a face shim

Well just a update, i didnt tear into the forks yet but i reduced the pressure to 36psi and it seems the initial hit of the larger chop is better, still stiff tho and i noticed also when i carry at speed it hits and it is almost like the front wheel kicks to the side if that makes sense, like it wants to turn. Im going to adjust the lsc on my shock tomight cause that may ne a contributor to the fork also, shock kicks and is real stiff even with lsc clickers al way soft. Ill let you know how this all feels then if need be ill dig into the midvalve

That sounds like too much rebound in the forks ,try reducing it by 3 clicks

I can give it a shot too. Its deflecting, not absorbing thats the word i was looking for. If i have too ill have to go in and stiffen up the rebound stack. I heard RT dvs rebound numbers are usually soft so had to stiffen stack quite a bit but im close to the end of the clickers too so may just have to do that. Good information tho ill make my best effort to do one at a time haha i always change a bunch and need to stop doing that

Oh kind of an off the wall question but one suspension guy told me he doesmt like to mix shims ok for example my shock hsc is .25 all teh way from 44mm to 24 mm then it calls for a .30x22. He said he likes to keep them all the same so i should use (2) .25x22 in place of the .30. Not exactly sure why, all i know is the thinner shims have less temdency to deform than thick ones

Pavetim less damping not more

Feel free to correct me if i am wrong but its deflectiing because the fork is rebounding too fast right? If thats the case wouldnt you want more dampening to slow the rebound action?

Too slow and packing ,then as it hits the next bump it deflects as it can't absorb the bump,I could be wrong and going 3 out on the rebound will prove it one way or the other

Too much rebound front or rear has caused me a lot of problems. When I force myself to lighten things up it always helps. Within reason of course.

Edited by YHGEORGE

Could ne high speed rebound too cause i have the rebound set for turning so if i go out it will cause mucturning to be shit again. So good possibility its the high speed rebound stack i need to soften corect?

The problem is its always a compromise turning needs a slow rebound ,try speeding up the rebound and pulling the forks higher in the clamps by 2mm

• Like 1