Sign in to follow this  

Cycra CRM vs. Acerbis X-Factor handguard?

Hi all,

Looking for new handguards.  I am concerned with the following:

clearance for bleeders.

clearance for moving forks up in triple clamps.

amount of space between the lever and the guard.

what about narrowing handlebars.

interference with the hoses cables and the GPS/dash.

I am considering the Cyra CRM and the Acerbis X-factor, but I am open to any suggestions.  EE. G2. Fastways...non CRM bend Cycra whatever.

Oh its on a 500RS.

Thanks all! and Happy New Year!

Unless you're riding in a forest where you are dodging trees I personally don't like full wrap hand guards. Just my .2 cents

• Like 1

I have HDBs with integral mirror and turn sigs, I have narrowed my stock bars by and inch on each side, with no problem. The integral mirror are excellent and take no room on the bars. I don't think they sell the turn signals anymore though. I have skidded those guards off trees and pavement may times and they still keep ticking. 

• Like 1

HDB are killer quality, and for big dual sports I love their wrap around design, as most wrap arounds offer more robust master cylinder protection and they help me, many broken bones in my hands  😢  Damn motorcycles!

While I got the EE installed in my BYOB, I would be open to a variety of brands/models as long as they offered the impact resistance, protection and wind deflection of the EE...

• Like 1

Which top clamp would you get for the Beta? Does the  KTM fit?

That would be a personal choice depending on your needs. I'm currently using the bar clamp version though I do have a custom ADV top clamp that I need to put on. It has a power outlet spot for my GPS, switches for heated bars, fan and 4 holes for indicator leds. IIRC you have to use the ADV clamp if you have the Scotts sub mount which I do. I have no ideal if the KTM clamp would fit. A quick C-C measurement will tell. Paul is great to work with and will make a custom clamp you want.

• Like 1

Hi all,

Looking for new handguards.  I am concerned with the following:

clearance for bleeders.

clearance for moving forks up in triple clamps.

amount of space between the lever and the guard.

what about narrowing handlebars.

interference with the hoses cables and the GPS/dash.

I am considering the Cyra CRM and the Acerbis X-factor, but I am open to any suggestions.  EE. G2. Fastways...non CRM bend Cycra whatever.

Oh its on a 500RS.

Thanks all! and Happy New Year!

I have always run Cycra, just because 😉

Which top clamp would you get for the Beta? Does the  KTM fit?

The top clamp dimensions from a KTM XC XCW are the same so just order one of those, just don't accidentally get the orange plastic 🙂 I emailed them about mounting on a 300 RR with Scott's BRP sub mount damper and he said there shouldn't be any problems with that.

I'm a fan of the HDB guards. I run them and even had a friend hit a Dodge Ram on the road with his. Almost no damage. I low sided my DRZ on pavement with no structural damage just some good scratches. I'm about to transfer a set over to my Beta from my old Husky (different top clamp) as soon as BYOB sends it. Tapping aluminum bars is easy just order the tap from them it's seriously simple to do and only takes a few minutes.

• Like 1

The HDB guards are definitely a premium item, but the standard included bar clamps are really bulky compared to a lot of others. On my Xtrainer I had to move the bar mounts into the more forward set of holes on the top clamp in order for the handguard clamps to clear the top of the forks- otherwise rotating the guards so they are level would have the clamp "knuckle" bumping the edge of the fork tubes and the guards would be too high. Took a lot of fiddling around to get the angle and fit right.   A bar riser would eliminate this problem, something I'll probably still do.

The nice thing is that both ends are wider in diameter than the grips, so it protects the throttle tube from getting thrashed and packed full of dirt if it pokes into the ground.

• Like 1

on my 2015 500 RS I am using Cycra Probend standard mount with the Enduro DX hanguards http://cycraracing.com/products/handguards/replacement-shields/and red end pieces.

I used the BRP Bar mounts. I ordered some extra hardware long bolts but didn't end up using them.

2015-05-31 18.30.54.jpg

2015-03-04 20.56.02.jpg

2015-03-04 21.27.38.jpg

I like the look and they are very solid. I may someday go to the Twisted Engineering bars which require their own bars due to the bars not being hollow.