Sign in to follow this  

rmz 250 wont start

Hi Guys,

Not sure where to start with this but we have a 2011 rmz 250 that wont kick start. over about 8 starts it has progressed from 2 kicks to 15 to no go at all. Fuel pump is new. condenser put in donor bike and ran fine. Bike runs mint when going but has just gotten worse and worse to start till it wont go at all. Valves are spot on. Bottom end checked and all good. Timing chain all good. Bike has spark. Idle rate has been checked and all good. Has heaps of compression. Computer showed 2 faults coolant/oil temp sensor malfunction (checked and cleaned) and ignition coil A circuit malfunction. put donor bikes coil in and made no difference. The strange part is we put the hotter mapping plug in it and it started first kick turned it off and tried it again but it back to no go so we put the leaner plug in it and it started again wit one kick but again wouldn't start again. tried putting the standard plug that is usually in it back in again but still no go. Any ideas people? Any help much appreciated as even the bike shop seems to be running out of ideas....

Edited by sherryn

II have had this same problem with my 04 Rmz 250 too. I have literally done everything you have said and even more too find out what was causing it. It ended up being the stator pickup that was bad. But i'm very curious on why your having this problem.

You said it has spark. But there's a difference between spark, and good spark. Have you put a new spark plug in it? And is the fuel new? First two tings I'd do. 

Edited by brenno

Hi again guys,

Update so far, valves were rechecked and had gone out again so clearances were redone this got the bike starting (if you held your mouth right). Turns out valves are worn. Replacing with titanium ones this week and hopefully this will fix it. But the suspect if this doesn't return bike to 100% is decompressor on camshaft. so will give you an update when we know more. Valves weren't suspected initially as not long had topend so I think more airfilter changes will be in order in future as the local mx track is very dusty and superfine dust. As a side note tried a new spark plug and bike always has new fuel. Next in line after new valves and decompressor is ECM.