Sign in to follow this  

To buy or not 99 Ktm 300exc

Should I I should I not buy this Ktm 300exc for 1500 53 year old owns it said he bought it to drive his nephew around on .should I buy it or just spend 2200 on a 2002 what are good and bad points of this bike

I owned a 99 300MXC an 01 300MXC as well which is virtually the same as the 02 so I'll give you my best description of the differences. But I'll be honest with you ahead of time, both those bikes are good bikes and their priced right if their in good condition. For me personally if I was looking at those two bikes at those prices it would come down to which one is in the best condition, period, end of story, you don't even need to read anymore... Okay maybe you should but don't forget what I just said, did I mention it's the most important factor?

The main differences between them are:

Forks - A good majority of people would consider the upside down fork of the 02 to be superior however, there is a group of people out there who absolutely RAVE about the 50mm convential fork on the 99. The conventional fork is one of the most supple forks ever made in nasty rocky rooty east coast style riding, I see you're in the Carolinas....   In fact I was just watching a video the other day of Shane Watt's breakign out his 97 ISDE winning KTM 125 that came with Marzochhi forks and guess what he had on instead, up the 50mm conventional WP's.  I would say however for more open faster terrain the 02 fork is better.

Shock - The 02 shock is more refined, 98 was the first year for pds and the 98 was known for being harsh, 99 a little better, and so on down the line. However, sending the 99 shock off to a tuner, getting it revalved and the proper spring for your weight and riding is going to make it work much better than the stock 02 shock. 

Swingarm  -The swingarm on the 02 is a different shape, more triangle shaped than the flat 99 swingarm, I'm pretty sure the newer one is slightly lighter.

Wheels - The hubs on the 99 are heavier and have these raised up sort of ridges on them. the 02 hubs are completely smooth and a little lighter. How much difference does it make? I don't really know. 

Motor - I believe the motors to be absolutely identical, the only change their may be is that the 99 may use a head gasket and the 02 may use o-rings, I'm not honestly sure if that's the case  as it is on their little brothers the 125/200 but it could be the case. Again though, the only difference there would be saving a few minutes during a top end rebuild, the o-rings are easier and slightly less likely to fail.

Playing devils advocate here I would say that I would personally prefer the 02 a little better straight out of the box and if you don't want to do anything to it other than ride it then go that route. However, if you are in the mood to do some upgrades and set the bike up for you by investing the $700 saved by buying the 99 you'll end up with a better bike, especially if you do a little bit of the work. 

Good luck, and let us know what you decide, we want pictures and a ride report to. Ready, set, GO!

• Like 1

Should I I should I not buy this Ktm 300exc for 1500 53 year old owns it said he bought it to drive his nephew around on .should I buy it or just spend 2200 on a 2002 what are good and bad points of this bike

Well? Come on buddy, we wanna know what came of it?

I owned a 99 300MXC an 01 300MXC as well which is virtually the same as the 02 so I'll give you my best description of the differences. But I'll be honest with you ahead of time, both those bikes are good bikes and their priced right if their in good condition. For me personally if I was looking at those two bikes at those prices it would come down to which one is in the best condition, period, end of story, you don't even need to read anymore... Okay maybe you should but don't forget what I just said, did I mention it's the most important factor?

The main differences between them are:

Forks - A good majority of people would consider the upside down fork of the 02 to be superior however, there is a group of people out there who absolutely RAVE about the 50mm convential fork on the 99. The conventional fork is one of the most supple forks ever made in nasty rocky rooty east coast style riding, I see you're in the Carolinas....   In fact I was just watching a video the other day of Shane Watt's breakign out his 97 ISDE winning KTM 125 that came with Marzochhi forks and guess what he had on instead, up the 50mm conventional WP's.  I would say however for more open faster terrain the 02 fork is better.

Shock - The 02 shock is more refined, 98 was the first year for pds and the 98 was known for being harsh, 99 a little better, and so on down the line. However, sending the 99 shock off to a tuner, getting it revalved and the proper spring for your weight and riding is going to make it work much better than the stock 02 shock. 

Swingarm  -The swingarm on the 02 is a different shape, more triangle shaped than the flat 99 swingarm, I'm pretty sure the newer one is slightly lighter.

Wheels - The hubs on the 99 are heavier and have these raised up sort of ridges on them. the 02 hubs are completely smooth and a little lighter. How much difference does it make? I don't really know. 

Motor - I believe the motors to be absolutely identical, the only change their may be is that the 99 may use a head gasket and the 02 may use o-rings, I'm not honestly sure if that's the case  as it is on their little brothers the 125/200 but it could be the case. Again though, the only difference there would be saving a few minutes during a top end rebuild, the o-rings are easier and slightly less likely to fail.

Playing devils advocate here I would say that I would personally prefer the 02 a little better straight out of the box and if you don't want to do anything to it other than ride it then go that route. However, if you are in the mood to do some upgrades and set the bike up for you by investing the $700 saved by buying the 99 you'll end up with a better bike, especially if you do a little bit of the work. 

Good luck, and let us know what you decide, we want pictures and a ride report to. Ready, set, GO!

Good write... I may add comments could be hard to find parts for the 98-98 fork,also that shock leaves a lot to be desired.

Also 97-99 have a small fly wheel weight....very small. They went back heavy in 2000.

• Like 1

Good write... I may add comments could be hard to find parts for the 98-98 fork,also that shock leaves a lot to be desired.

Also 97-99 have a small fly wheel weight....very small. They went back heavy in 2000.

it was hard for a bit to find the bushings on the 50mm forks for a bit but they're readily available now several places just not oem. Are those the parts you were thinking of? Edited by Squid_Racer