Sign in to follow this  

Red river vs hidden falls

My son and I are new to dirt bikes and I want to go take him for an adventure. Which of the above would you recommend for newbies that want to cut their teeth?

If I had to pick I'd say Red River, but it isn't well marked and you do have to be ready to turn around if you accidentally get on a rough trail.

Hidden Falls has some easy park roads, but it is fairly rough for beginners once you get off the park roads- on the flip side, very well marked, you should be able to find your way back o the starting point easily.

Other options are Twin Hills near Bridgeport, and met personal favorite for beginners is Crooked Creek near Waco. Lots of smooth flowing trails, and they also have a couple of narrower trails that can keep it fun for more experienced riders.

Thanks that is good info. We have about 400 acres we usually ride on here in Waco, but it's pretty wet/muddy/flooded. Crooked Creek is still closed at the moment. Red river sounds like the better option, any other opinions out there??

I like Hidden Falls, but then it's only about 10 min up the road from me. I actually would suggest the Sam Houston National Forrest north of Houston / The Woodlands. The trails are nice and wide, dirt not rock, very scenic and very easy on the new rider.

Check out some of the trail rides on the youtube channel from out there:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIvWOX1PENqLeqWXR9-V4Dg

The Forest has dirt???? I've seen Sand, roots, Sand, roots, Sand, roots, Sand, roots, Sand, roots and Sand. Sorry I forgot Whoops, Whoops, Whoops, Whoops, Whoops, Whoops and Whoops

Edited by TECH51

Quick question, i see some of these parks say you need a texas ohv sticker. Do you still need one on a licensed street legal vehicle?

I was told last year 2015 even if you had a street legal dirt bike etc it still needed a TX OHV sticker. 

Quick question, i see some of these parks say you need a texas ohv sticker. Do you still need one on a licensed street legal vehicle?

Coming from Louisiana, you may check to see if there's any exemption for being from out of state. Probably not, but it couldn't hurt to ask.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/texas-off-highway-program

No sticker needed at Red River. I was there the last two weekends and know the area pretty well.

It has massive variety for all skill levels, but it really helps if you meet up with someone that knows the area. Tons of easy two track/Razor trails there for beginners. No markings though, location or direction, so you do need to watch for oncoming riders. With that said, the place is so big (2900 acres) that it will seem busy around camp, but you don't cross that many folks once your out in the area.

Here is one of the easier areas called Rebeccas Highway that runs along the Red River. 4:20 mark is where I get onto Rebeccas Highway.

It has massive variety for all skill levels, but it really helps if you meet up with someone that knows the area. Tons of easy two track/Razor trails there for beginners.

+1 Red River

We (Red River Dirt Riders club) used to keep the trails well trimmed and marked for races and Rebecca & Louis were always very accommodating to us and our efforts. In the years since I stopped riding, there was a falling out between the club and Rebecca and since, the RRDR neither host races nor maintain the trails.

I just started riding there again after a 14 year hiatus and while many of the trails are familiar, it's still very easy to get in way over your head very quickly and often the way in is not the easiest way out.

I've never been to Hidden Falls, so I can't compare the two. But I can say that Red River always offered my sons and I all the varying terrain challenges we ever wanted.