Boano Beta Metal Oil Pump Gears

Just before Christmas I ordered myself a set of the metal oil pump gears from Boano Beta (http://www.beta.boano.com/ita/foto.asp?prd=1700). They arrived a few days ago and I got to put them in today. Here's a pic of the OEM Plastic gears and Boano Beta metal oil pump gears side by side.
Oil%20pump%20gears%20-%20Plastic%20and%2

The metal gears are quite a bit thinner than the OEM plastic ones - presumably because they don't need to be as thick given the metal is stronger than the plastic.
Oil%20pump%20gear%20thickness%20comparis
Oil%20pump%20gear%20thickness%20comparis

Putting the metal gears in it is important to get the gears the right way around in order for the teeth to make full contact because the metal gears are thinner.
Metal%20oil%20pump%20gear%20-%20wrong%20

In order to get the gears the right way round the bottom oil pump control gear needs to be installed first as it only goes in one way thanks to the pin slot.
Oil%20Pump%20control%20gear%20comparison

The pin in the shaft slides out rather easily making installing the gear a little tricky.
Oil%20pump%20control%20gear%20pin_zps1yz

Here is the set of metal gears installed and ready for me to put everything back together.
Metal%20oil%20pump%20gears%20installed_z

I must say, I am looking forward to not having to worry about the gears going forward. There may be a good reason for Beta using plastic gears but I couldn't find out why. I am assuming that Boano Beta (who are the official racing team for Beta) must be a safe bet for an aftermarket part so hope I don't regret swapping out the plastic gears.

Edited by Arctra

Very prudy 

Very cool! I'm ordering mine in a few months.

Great.

Now your bike is going to list to the right every time you do that 180' triple..... :jawdrop:

I must say, I am looking forward to not having to worry about the gears going forward. There may be a good reason for Beta using plastic gears but I couldn't find out why. I am assuming that Boano Beta (who are the official racing team for Beta) must be a safe bet for an aftermarket part so hope I don't regret swapping out the plastic gears.

THANKS for the info! Metal gears for my 2011 at the next service! YEA!!! :-)

Catfish ...

I'm glad it's all 3 gears. I thought I read it was only 2 somewhere. Very nice

I'm glad it's all 3 gears. I thought I read it was only 2 somewhere. Very nice

That was probably me as I only saw 2 gears in the picture on Boano's website - but I was wrong as the kit comes with all 3 gears. I presume they only pictures 2 gears as 2 of them are exactly the same size (the clutch driven one and the middle idler gear).

Great write up Arcta. This will be a big help for others. How long did it take to get them and what was the cost including shipping? 

It will be interesting to see how the shaft wear is when using metal gears since it's more or less a splash arrangement.

Great write up Arcta. This will be a big help for others. How long did it take to get them and what was the cost including shipping? 

The gears were 99.14 Euro and the shipping was a very hefty 54 Euro. They shipped via DHL - sent 22 Dec and arrived at my door on 29 Dec.

If you send an email to info@boano.com asking them to invoice you for the following part -

Gears oil pump kit '10/'14 (Code  031460288 200)

To be able to make invoice and shipment, they need the following data:

NAME:

SURNAME:

STREET ADDRESS:

CITY:

ZIP CODE:

PHONE NUMBER:

They accept payment via PayPal.

Edited by Arctra

The gears were 99.14 Euro and the shipping was a very hefty 54 Euro. They shipped via DHL - sent 22 Dec and arrived at my door on 29 Dec.

If you send an email to info@boano.com asking them to invoice you for the following part -

Gears oil pump kit '10/'14 (Code  031460288 200)

To be able to make invoice and shipment, they need the following data:

NAME:

SURNAME:

STREET ADDRESS:

CITY:

ZIP CODE:

PHONE NUMBER:

They accept payment via PayPal.

I thought that Get Dirty Bikes was selling them too ??

Quite possibly they do mate. I just got mine from Boano, and that's how I did it. I've also since found out that the Beta Australia importer has them in stock too, although they're not advertised on the site just yet.

Quite possibly they do mate. I just got mine from Boano, and that's how I did it. I've also since found out that the Beta Australia importer has them in stock too, although they're not advertised on the site just yet.

Oh, I did not notice you are in Kangaroo-ville......G'day.

It will be interesting to see how the shaft wear is when using metal gears since it's more or less a splash arrangement.

None at all since the gears have brass bushings. Very well made.

Just for the 15 and up.

What I REALLY want to know, is what program did you use to make the graphics over the pictures!?

...after all this and me thinking metal gears.. I'm maybe thinking just going back to stock plastic gears.. those little steel gears aren't cheap!! and as long as I stay within  specs I should be good for a while.  a classic flip flop.. just for much less  price for product and shipping..but thanks for the great pics and info.. I might just flake and change back to steel again.

Edited by hawaiidirtrider

Arctra... Were you able to replace all three gears by only removing the clutch cover?

Arctra... Were you able to replace all three gears by only removing the clutch cover?

No. I ended up undoing the clutch side engine cover and lifting it a few mm in order to remove the oil pump drive gear down at the bottom. Once I put the new metal gear on I then bolted the side back on without totally removing it to put a new gasket on like I should have. I will keep a close eye on the gasket area to see if I have any oil leaks as I know the gasket material is designed to only be compressed once - so I really should have removed the whole cover and replaced the gasket with a new one... but I had practiced my swearing enough for one day and did not feel like playing with the kick starter mechanism to practice my swearing any more :rolleyes:

I think they are still B.O. in the U.S.

I have to place an order tomorrow and that's on my list of questions.