Boano Beta Metal Oil Pump Gears

Keep us all posted, as 

I think they are still B.O. in the U.S.

I have to place an order tomorrow and that's on my list of questions.

Keep us posted on what Beta USA says.

Since this is a really big deal for the 100's of Beta 4 strokes roaming the trails in the USA.

A lot of people are kinda nervous about exploding plastic gears in their bikes, I know I am.

I'm ready to place an order for them ASAP as I'm at 90 hours.

Keep us all posted, as 

Keep us posted on what Beta USA says.

Since this is a really big deal for the 100's of Beta 4 strokes roaming the trails in the USA.

A lot of people are kinda nervous about exploding plastic gears in their bikes, I know I am.

I'm ready to place an order for them ASAP as I'm at 90 hours.

Mine is at 75 hours and am leaning toward steel also. Subscribed for details.

My 520 didn't have an hour meter, but it had to be over 300 when I sold it (3600 miles). I never had any indication that the plastic gears were failing, but it was on my mind after I read Catfish's story. Plus, I guess you don't get much advance notice- as soon as you think there's a problem, it's too late.

I never really understood why Beta used plastic gears, though. 

Edit - spelling

Edited by JustRon

Careful Ron, you can get beat up here for saying stuff like that.

Edited by YHGEORGE

Honda used a plastic gear, not sure if they still do....never been a problem, my 08 has the stock one from the factory. Shouldn't require much pressure, metal gear seems overkill. Seems like the one way valves may not be one waying very well on the betas which wouldn't help a plastic gear to the pump...

Honda used a plastic gear, not sure if they still do....never been a problem, my 08 has the stock one from the factory. Shouldn't require much pressure, metal gear seems overkill. Seems like the one way valves may not be one waying very well on the betas which wouldn't help a plastic gear to the pump...

So have you ever checked what the specs are on changing?

So have you ever checked what the specs are on changing?

last bottom end I did on it I went by the shop manual, part for part....I can't recall but I think there was just runout measurements on the shift from gear to pump. Mine doesn't have any visible wear at all, it rides against a steel gear from the balance shaft....I did drop the dumb pin that holds it on the shaft and replaced that, but that was it.

How many of you nervous nellies worried about plastic oil pump gears replace your helmets on a frequent basis due to dropping them or taking a mild hit on them?

How many of you nervous nellies worried about plastic oil pump gears replace your helmets on a frequent basis due to dropping them or taking a mild hit on them?

I'm averaging a new helmet every 2 years. I've written 2 helmets off after falls where others said that it was fine. Then again, I have a shunt valve in my head to drain off excess fluid and have had a 6 weeks stint in Intensive Care with an acquired brain injury, so I am probably a little more aware of the importance of head protection than most. :rolleyes:

I'm averaging a new helmet every 2 years. I've written 2 helmets off after falls where others said that it was fine. Then again, I have a shunt valve in my head to drain off excess fluid and have had a 6 weeks stint in Intensive Care with an acquired brain injury, so I am probably a little more aware of the importance of head protection than most. :rolleyes:

IFWT_damn.png I'd be buying the best helmet even faster... 

Edited by hawaiidirtrider

ALWAYS replace your helmet, or send it back to the manufacturer for inspection (if they offer the service) after a fall.  Especially on the new helmets with the multi-density EPS as they crush with much smaller forces.  My brother has a neurological brain disease, so I have researched this subject a whole bunch.....Its not hype, helmets are a one use item.  Lots of things in a helmet can get damaged in even a small impact.  They are designed that way as you do not want any elastic collisions going on when your brain is involved.  Plastic deformation is your friend!

By the way, Freakin great post on the gears!  Nice illustrations and photos.  I think you may be giving ballisticexchris a run for the money!

Metal gears are Still back ordered, at least 3 weeks, no official release date.  Plastic gears are now in stock.

On 01/01/2016 at 9:22 PM, Arctra said:

Just before Christmas I ordered myself a set of the metal oil pump gears from Boano Beta (http://www.beta.boano.com/ita/foto.asp?prd=1700). They arrived a few days ago and I got to put them in today. Here's a pic of the OEM Plastic gears and Boano Beta metal oil pump gears side by side.

The metal gears are quite a bit thinner than the OEM plastic ones - presumably because they don't need to be as thick given the metal is stronger than the plastic.

Putting the metal gears in it is important to get the gears the right way around in order for the teeth to make full contact because the metal gears are thinner.

In order to get the gears the right way round the bottom oil pump control gear needs to be installed first as it only goes in one way thanks to the pin slot.

The pin in the shaft slides out rather easily making installing the gear a little tricky.

Here is the set of metal gears installed and ready for me to put everything back together.

I must say, I am looking forward to not having to worry about the gears going forward. There may be a good reason for Beta using plastic gears but I couldn't find out why. I am assuming that Boano Beta (who are the official racing team for Beta) must be a safe bet for an aftermarket part so hope I don't regret swapping out the plastic gears.

OEM Plastic gears and Boano Beta metal oil pump gears side by side.
Oil%20pump%20gears%20-%20Plastic%20and%2

The metal gears are quite a bit thinner than the OEM plastic ones - presumably because they don't need to be as thick given the metal is stronger than the plastic.
Oil%20pump%20gear%20thickness%20comparis

Putting the metal gears in it is important to get the gears the right way around in order for the teeth to make full contact because the metal gears are thinner.

Metal%20oil%20pump%20gear%20-%20wrong%20

In order to get the gears the right way round the bottom oil pump control gear needs to be installed first as it only goes in one way thanks to the pin slot.

Oil%20Pump%20control%20gear%20comparison

The pin in the shaft slides out rather easily making installing the gear a little tricky.
Oil%20pump%20control%20gear%20pin.jpg?ra

Here is the set of metal gears installed and ready for me to put everything back together.
Metal%20oil%20pump%20gears%20installed.j

I must say, I am looking forward to not having to worry about the gears going forward. There may be a good reason for Beta using plastic gears but I couldn't find out why. I am assuming that Boano Beta (who are the official racing team for Beta) must be a safe bet for an aftermarket part so hope I don't regret swapping out the plastic gears.

Edited by Arctra
7 hours ago, Arctra said:

OEM Plastic gears and Boano Beta metal oil pump gears side by side.
Oil%20pump%20gears%20-%20Plastic%20and%2

Metal%20oil%20pump%20gear%20-%20wrong%20

Oil%20Pump%20control%20gear%20comparison

Oil%20pump%20control%20gear%20pin.jpg?ra

Metal%20oil%20pump%20gears%20installed.j

I'd buy 'em soon, rumor has it that there "may" be some time before they re-order another batch, as I heard they are running low on inventory of the steel gears from the first batch and nothing is getting cheaper. They've raised their prices a while back on the first batch, I got mine when first advertised, and think they were $110.00 US, which was almost the same price as filling my pickup fuel tank with diesel, at a rip off fueling station, gotta put things into perspective.  

Granted the plastic gears are fine also, but ya gotta change them every so often. Which in the grand scheme of things is no big deal.

Again mine came form Boano but in a sealed Beta factory bag, lol! 

A big shout out to Arcata for the update with new pics, gears are on the workbench, tearing into the 520 soon. 

I put in the steel gears on my '17 at the first oil change. I hate the plastic gears, ugh.

20161218_150304-1-L.jpg