Sign in to follow this  

My yzf froze?!

I have a 2002 yamaha yz250f. I ran it maybe a little over a week ago so the gas doesn't sit and gum up my carb. I did get some kickback when trying to start it this winter but i could usually get it to fire after some time was spent kicking away. Its about 20 degrees and i went out to start it and the kickstarter will not budge at all!

Hopefully someone can help me as i am hoping this isn't a major problem thats going to leave me without a bike for a while. Thanks.

This cold weather can make bikes very difficult to start.  It the sun comes out sit your bike out to warm up the engine and carb.  If not, put an electric or propane heater close to it.  If it doesn't start after you've got it warmed up then you have a problem.

If the bike is in storage for winter, you are doing more harm to it starting it up occasionaly,

(more 'dry' starts with excessively thick oil, plus chances for condensation to form in the crankcase)

instead of storing it properly: fuel treated or drained completely, fogging spray, teaspoon of oil in the cylinder, etc.

Make sure your antifreeze concentration is sufficient for your anticipated seasonal low temperatures.

Edited by mlatour