Sign in to follow this  

07 kx450f starting problems

ive tried everything, have almost no luck getting it to kick start cold(itll start sometimes, rarely though, tried all kinds of starting procedures, no luck). valve adjustment is perfect, carb is stock jetting other than 45 pilot a/f screw is 2 turns, has good compression. starts right up if you pull start it, kick starts fine after you warm it up a bit. went through the carb nothing wrong there. top end was just rebuilt, timing is correct. any ideas? this is the first kx450 ive messed with, not super familiar with this bike.

What is the ambient temperature range?

I have an '08, also using a 45 pilot at 2 turns +/- 1/8turn. Mine doesn't start easy either. From about 40-60 deg F what works for me is to choke plus partially pull on the hot start. Then after a few seconds of running like that I'll slowly release the hot start and let it warm up with the choke on.

Figured it out. Something was wrong with the decompressor. Replaced the exhaust cam. Starts first 2 kicks almost every time now. 1 kick once warm. Appreciate the help guys.