How to fit 2015 yamaha plastics on a 1990 yz250

Hello I just got a 1990 yz 250 and it looks horrible even with new 1990 plastics. I want a newer generation like 2010 or newer. I'm confident I can fit front and back fenders my problem will be with shrouds and number plates.

So how can I fit the number plates?

And is there any after market tanks that will fit the bike and new shrouds.

Also is there any way to make the seat look sleek instead of square or any after market seats ?

Thanks

Not a lot of aftermarket out there for a bike that old.  As for fitting newer plastics, generally speaking the front fender is usually the only one that will fit without a ton of modification.  And there are some that it would be impossible to modify enough to fit without looking like crap.

Anythings possible but that's a pretty large age difference. If you do pull it off and it looks clean, please post pics.

• Like 2

If you use Liquid Nails, it may be possible. Otherwise, just enjoy your dirt bike.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If up-to-date looks are that important to you, why did you buy a 25 year old dirtbike ?

First ride it around as-is for a while, you might quickly realise that there are more important mechanical issues that need to be adressed before new plastics.

• Like 1

If up-to-date looks are that important to you, why did you buy a 25 year old dirtbike ?

First ride it around as-is for a while, you might quickly realise that there are more important mechanical issues that need to be adressed before new plastics.

Well I'm 15 and you take what you get

Edited by Noahwuzhear
  • Like 1

Buy yourself period correct plastic and put on Damon Bradshaw replica graphics! Best from the East will live on!!

Youre in fabrication territory. Even front and rear fenders, you will have to trim. Radiator shrouds may be best to leave them alone.

A good graphics kit can really bring the plastic back to life. Thats what I would do. You can get custom stuff made for a fair price these days. Id search the forum.

Ive seen some great stuff from decal works...

https://www.decalmx.com

There was also a smaller shop guy that did some...cant remember.

Anyone got good custom graphics links?

• Like 1

Ok..okay im the wolf. And i hear your valid yet conomicall  means of haiving a newer looking for an unheard of price.All the old farts will speak shame as they do.

After all my time riding and that included alot of crashes... What works best is zip ties.But ya gotta get the big thick ones.And use common sence when This may sound rather foolish butthey will work Dont use them where obviously hardware should be used and when  possible use nutz and bolts.

• Haha 1

On 1/2/2016 at 11:34 AM, Noahwuzhear said:

Hello I just got a 1990 yz 250 and it looks horrible even with new 1990 plastics. I want a newer generation like 2010 or newer. I'm confident I can fit front and back fenders my problem will be with shrouds and number plates.

So how can I fit the number plates?

And is there any after market tanks that will fit the bike and new shrouds.

Also is there any way to make the seat look sleek instead of square or any after market seats ?

Thanks

I've never done it but if you can weld and have a bunch of spare cash it can be done.

Gotta build a sub frame to hold the new air box and side panels for starts, if you get past that the rest will be easy

Wonder how he made out 🤠🤠 zip ties should've done the trick 😂😂 

• Haha 3

if your bike is the same as my 93 yz 250 then this is what you need. Keep in mind this is from internet research and I haven't been able to try it myself till all repairs are done.

96-01 sub frame, (will require slight bending, 01 is aluminum)

02 to 08 yz 250 125 gas tank(you have to make brackets for the front of gas tank

96-01 air box or air boot, (can't remember which)

96-01 seat

might be more things but you get the idea

8 hours ago, Motox367 said:

Wonder how he made out 🤠🤠 zip ties should've done the trick 😂😂 

Dang I was caught in a 4 year trap 🤠

• Haha 1