Sign in to follow this  

FMF exhaust?

Hi,

I'm new to the group so sorry if this has been posted before (I couldnt find it). I am planning on buying an fmf exhaust system for my '05 DRZ 400 SM this year with income tax and was wondering anyones thoughts,opinions or experiences on the exhaust and which SA to buy. I plan on getting the powerbomb header but was unsure which SA to buy, the Powercore 4 or the Q4?

I bought this bike late last year from my brother in law and it had been sitting in storage for the last 2-3 years. It was not running when I bought it so I cleaned the carb and got it running again, changed the oil, air filter, spark plug and battery. Now I want to do a few small upgrades, exhaust, chain/sprockets, handlebars, etc.

Thanks for the help.

I have an old as dirt powercore 4. Its loud as hell but I still like it a lot. It lets the stroker breathe pretty freely too. 

V2U2eInl.jpg

• Like 1

Be sure to get the complete system and not just a slip on. The header is where you pick up power.

If it were me, I'd get the Q4, especially if you will be spending time off road.

• Like 3

Okay, thanks for the response guys. I do plan on doing a full system, I am leaning towards the Q4 but if I was to choose the Powercore is it legal for road use? I'm in Pa.

I just did a Powerbomb and Q4 on my DRZ.  The Q4 is supposed to be quieter, and comes with the "quiet tube" and USFS spark arrester included and installed--but can easily be removed with 1 8mm screw.  I ran the Q4 without the quiet insert for a minute--It was too loud for my liking and actually the bike seemed to run better with it put back in. (reduced "popping")  My bike just passed MD inspection fine with the Q4 on it.  So far as the need for jetting--most say you should re-jet when you get a more free-flowing exhaust.  Most also say you should be doing the 3x3 at the same time since you are gonna have the carb off to re-jet anyhow which is what I chose to do....

I am happy with my choice on the Q4-it is quiet, seems to breathe well, and can be obnoxious if you want to take the quiet insert out...

Thanks for the response kevvyd. What exactly is the 3x3 mod? I've heard a little about it

It's when you remove the snorkel and expand the opening on top of the air box to a 3"x3" square, mimicking the off road E models air box.

I used a powercore 4 for road use and never got pulled over. It's loud though. I have it for sale in the classifieds if you're interested. I replaced it with a full Yoshi Ti system.

• Like 1

I used a powercore 4 for road use and never got pulled over. It's loud though. I have it for sale in the classifieds if you're interested. I replaced it with a full Yoshi Ti system.

How come you ultimately decided to get rid of the Powercore?  Was it just cause you decided that you wanted a header as well?  If that is the case, was it then that you wanted the full yoshi more than just getting the FMF header?  Not being critical, just like to know reasons. (besides the obvious weight and bling factor on the ti Yosh)

Thanks for the response kevvyd. What exactly is the 3x3 mod? I've heard a little about it

Yup,  ptgarcia got the right response about the 3x3.  Many consider it a "must do" for the DRZ and it really will bring some life into a dull motor.  At the top of the DRZ-400 specific forum, the very top post is "DRZ-400 FAQ"  A good explanation of the 3x3 is found as a sub-topic in that.  I'd actually suggest reading all the sub-topics contained in the "FAQ" thread.  Its really everything you need to know and do to be a "good Z owner"  Or feel free to keep asking around the forum.  You will always find what you want if you ask

• Like 1

How come you ultimately decided to get rid of the Powercore? Was it just cause you decided that you wanted a header as well? If that is the case, was it then that you wanted the full yoshi more than just getting the FMF header? Not being critical, just like to know reasons. (besides the obvious weight and bling factor on the ti Yosh)

The Yoshi weighs a lot less, flows better than any FMF system, and wasn't terribly expensive when I bought it used on eBay. One day I want a big bore and I knew that I needed an MRD or Yoshi to get the most out of it. The price of the Yoshi system is really what sold it for me. The FMF was installed on my bike when I bought it.

So yes, ultimately I wanted the Yoshi full system more than the FMF and the price was good enough I pulled the trigger.

Wow thanks again guys for the info! I will make sure to check out the FAQ's kevvyd. I think I'm gonna go ahead with the Q4 and powerbomb header along with the 3x3 mod. It should give me the little more power and sound I'm looking for. I mean honestly even in stock form I'm still grinning from ear to ear because the bike is sporty and easy to ride but it does feel it's lacking a "little" in the power department, not complaining though.

• Like 1