Trail riding crf 150rb

I have a 2007 crf 150rb which is in very good shape for the age and low use. I'm going to be talking it on trails and want to know what I should be getting for it. I have a trail tech vapor for it and a trail tech kick stand. I know I need a spark arrestor because I would be riding in the mountains of Wyoming. It's has been rejetted so I don't know what's in there but it runs great. I am at 1,000 feet elevation and I will be running it at 7-9k feet. What should I do for jetting? Things on my list to get are hot cam valve shim kit, pro moto Billit spark arrestor and a few other things. I read about flywheel weights and a quick shot but I don't know if those things are work it. Thanks for the help

I ride mine mostly on trails (just a tiny bit on track) and I just changed the gearing instead of adding a flywheel weight. That method worked fine for me until I got used to working the clutch more in tight areas to keep from stalling. Eventually I went back to the stock gearing. Everyone has different preference but this has been fine for me.

I have a 2007 crf 150rb which is in very good shape for the age and low use. I'm going to be talking it on trails and want to know what I should be getting for it. I have a trail tech vapor for it and a trail tech kick stand. I know I need a spark arrestor because I would be riding in the mountains of Wyoming. It's has been rejetted so I don't know what's in there but it runs great. I am at 1,000 feet elevation and I will be running it at 7-9k feet. What should I do for jetting? Things on my list to get are hot cam valve shim kit, pro moto Billit spark arrestor and a few other things. I read about flywheel weights and a quick shot but I don't know if those things are work it. Thanks for the help

A heavier flywheel will give it a better off idle and low end without stalling. I would also recommend sending the carb to Zipty racing and get all the mods done.  http://www.ziptyracing.com/carburetor-mod/

when I ride on the trails I sometimes go through creeks with rocks and sometimes some mud so I would really need to be able to feather the clutch so I don't stall it. I only stalled my old 100 once going up hill after crossing and I accidentally let off the gas.

Edited by Trailblazers2001

Just picked up a 150RB myself, but haven't got a real ride in since the dirt is covered... If you have good clutch control then you shouldn't need an auto clutch or heavier flywheel weight. I bought mine just for single-track riding and don't plan on doing anything to the bike other than adding a spark arrestor (looking at the crf250x muffler mod). It was re-valved for a heavier rider, and was told it has the FMF Snap. Once it warms up it runs great. Like others have said, jetting and suspension are the most important factors, as well as setting up the bars/controls to your liking. I don't have experience jetting this bike yet, so I guess I'm not much help. I mainly wanted to subscribe to this thread to see what others that have trail-modded 150R's have to say.

Just noticed you're in MN. Whereabouts, may I ask?

Edited by mx4god

Just picked up a 150RB myself, but haven't got a real ride in since the dirt is covered... If you have good clutch control then you shouldn't need an auto clutch or heavier flywheel weight. I bought mine just for single-track riding and don't plan on doing anything to the bike other than adding a spark arrestor (looking at the crf250x muffler mod). It was re-valved for a heavier rider, and was told it has the FMF Snap. Once it warms up it runs great. Like others have said, jetting and suspension are the most important factors, as well as setting up the bars/controls to your liking. I don't have experience jetting this bike yet, so I guess I'm not much help. I mainly wanted to subscribe to this thread to see what others that have trail-modded 150R's have to say.

Even though I rode trials for years and am well-versed in throttle and clutch control, I found my RB was very difficult to ride a low speeds and small throttle openings. That's what led me to the Snap. I believe that flywheel weights only mask the problem, which is turbulence at low rpm caused by a very large carb bore in relation to the engine size. The Snap makes the carb bore look smaller to the pilot circuit, reducing turbulence in a significant way, and makes the engine run the way a trail rider wants it to.

This thread addresses some of the jetting problems that are specific to model year '07, but contains a link to the o-ring mod thread, which is relevant to all years before 2012. The OP mentioned that his bike was an '07, and I suggest that he check this out too:

https://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/1127813-07-crf150r-jetting-problem/

The CRF250X can is heavy but does the job. My bike came with an FMF Q4 which I quieted with the installation of a spark arrester quiet tip.

Your bike seems to be well setup to start with. Only the little personal things left to do. Congratulations, and enjoy your new toy (weather permitting).

• Like 1

I am in the Rogers/elk river area. Are you in Minnesota?

Edited by Trailblazers2001

Even though I rode trials for years and am well-versed in throttle and clutch control, I found my RB was very difficult to ride a low speeds and small throttle openings. That's what led me to the Snap. I believe that flywheel weights only mask the problem, which is turbulence at low rpm caused by a very large carb bore in relation to the engine size. The Snap makes the carb bore look smaller to the pilot circuit, reducing turbulence in a significant way, and makes the engine run the way a trail rider wants it to.

This thread addresses some of the jetting problems that are specific to model year '07, but contains a link to the o-ring mod thread, which is relevant to all years before 2012. The OP mentioned that his bike was an '07, and I suggest that he check this out too:

The CRF250X can is heavy but does the job. My bike came with an FMF Q4 which I quieted with the installation of a spark arrester quiet tip.

Your bike seems to be well setup to start with. Only the little personal things left to do. Congratulations, and enjoy your new toy (weather permitting).

I know for sure my bike has been rejetted because it runs really good. I checked the plug and it's a tad on the lean side. So your saying that this fmf snap thing is something I should get? And will help with low speed messing around? I still go 45 down the trail also with that. I think I want to drop the rear sprocket from a 56 to a 55 or 54. Would that make a difference on top end and not affect power too much?

Hmm, interesting. Good to know. Hopefully mine (2009) has the snap then. The 250x muffler is cheap compared to a Q4, so the extra weight doesn't really bother me for now. I only need it quiet for a couple riding spots.

I know for sure my bike has been rejetted because it runs really good. I checked the plug and it's a tad on the lean side. So your saying that this fmf snap thing is something I should get? And will help with low speed messing around? I still go 45 down the trail also with that. I think I want to drop the rear sprocket from a 56 to a 55 or 54. Would that make a difference on top end and not affect power too much?

Your riding conditions determine what gearing will work best for you. Some hare and hound racers, where the trails are fast and flowing, go to 15-50 (stock ratio for the small wheel) with excellent results. 

Sending you a PM about the Snap.

We did a ton to my sons CRF150R, including gearing, flywheel, etc...  The video is long but covers almost all the mods.  I think the best where gearing, G2 throttle tube, Power Valve (similar to FMF Snap), radiator guards, and flywheel weight.  After riding it a season, the bike performed great.  My son had trouble starting it once (cold), and it took forever to clear the flooding, etc...  But it normally starts well hot and cold, has nice low RPM throttle response, and has been a great bike.  We spent way too much money on it, but it was a fun project and learned a fair bit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZu6fBgFx7Q

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

My 12 yr old daughter has a 150rb she trail rides. The only mods we have done to it is a 1.7 gallon acerbis tank, Fmf power bomb pipe with silencer, Enduro engineering radiator guards.

She loves this bike compared to her ktm 65 she was on. It does the low speed stuffjust fine for her without stalling out. Climbs the slow boulder strewn hills great. Overall I think it made her more confident and a better rider.