Sign in to follow this  

Big bore the 250 or uprgade.

Currently my wife has an 09 ktm 250 exc-f. While its a great bike for her its lacking alot in the bottom end compared to other 250's. The weight suits her well but will need lowering when i get a chance also. We also do a little bit of rd riding which the 250 isnt a fan of either. We do a mix of riding with most of it riding round with our kids, get out into the state forests when we can but not hard enduro riding.

She rides round town a bit but its only 5min from one end to the other so not doing big k's but once in a while when riding down at my dads we like to ride to the bush where she has to trailer hers so would like her to b able to ride with us.

Cant afford a newer bike really, but will have the cash to do a 300 big bore kit ($800 once posted here to australia) or to i put the money towards a bigger bike, 400,450exc? Keep in mind she's still only just above a begginner in her skill level. Rides most things with me just needs help on harder stuff.

1506613_412948365571697_3440375838605883422_n.jpg

she's still only just above a begginner in her skill level.

Based on the above comment....I would say that a 450 would be a big, actually make that huge, mistake.

I've been riding for decades and traded my old WR 450 for a 2012 350 XCF-W three years ago...best thing i ever did. The 350 is much more manageable than the 450 and it has plenty of power.

My suggestion would be to look for a good used 350 EXC or XCF-W....depending on how much you really need the street legal capability.  If you sell the 250 and add in the total cost of the big bore...the actual cost of the used 350 may not be that much more.

The XCF-W will have a different map than the EXC and will be less prone to flame outs or stalling and will be less likely to overheat among other benefits.....but of course is not officially street legal....but I know there are places where getting a full plate are not that difficult....mine has a full plate.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the new 350's (2012 and later) have been proven to be rock solid and have a higher re-sale value than the 250's.

Good luck....you're a lucky man to be able to ride as a family.

Yeh considering 3 out of the 4 kids are girls I am pretty lucky.

I only considered the 450 for its rd riding capabilities compared to the small bores. We don't do huge rd kms most of it is around town stuff except wen we visit or my dad visits us we generally ride to the bush. Bike needs rego as I'm in Australia so exc is only choice.

350 exc wuld b ideal but they sell for $7000 and up here and I'd prob get $4500 max for the 250 so I'd hav to find another $1500. Also it weighs another 7kg more then the 250 according to the specs. 105kg vs 112kg.

Biggest plus for the 250 is its light but will the 300 kit do wat I'm after. If I didn't need the bike to cope with rd riding I'd prob buy a couple of 2t exc's

Edited by BLKWDW