Sign in to follow this  

Throttle Sticking in Cold Weather

So I went to start my X today and noticed that my throttle is sticking again. I cleaned and lubed it real well back in September and left about two turns of adjustment at the cable adjuster (tube end). However, even with the nut adjusted all the way, I cannot get the tube to snap back like it was. It snaps back pretty well with the bars turned to the left, but becomes more sluggish as I move the bars to the right. First, is it normal to need to adjust the cables when the temps get cooler (it was in the low 40's today), second, what is the best lube to use in cold weather (I've been using Liquid Wrench Dry Graphite Lube), third, can I clean and lube the cables without removing the cables from the carb? I don't want a bunch of contact cleaner, grime, and lube pooling behind the cover. Lastly, shouldn't the tube snap back quicker with the bars turned to the right? I realize it should be the same regardless of handlebar position, but I'm referring to when it is out of adjustment.

I was taught to use a thin film of Vaselline petroleum jelley on the throttle tube. It's always worked well for me for years regardless of temperature.

I believe the tube is fine, otherwise it wouldn't get better with handlebar position.

<<However, even with the nut adjusted all the way, I cannot get the tube to snap back like it was. It snaps back pretty well with the bars turned to the left, but becomes more sluggish as I move the bars to the right.>>

Pull the tank and look for a frayed cable and/or routing problem.

<<First, is it normal to need to adjust the cables when the temps get cooler (it was in the low 40's today)>>

No.

<<second, what is the best lube to use in cold weather (I've been using Liquid Wrench Dry Graphite Lube)>>

On the tube?  None.   Leave it totally  dry.  If anything, a some graphite.   Anything else, be it WD40 or whatever, will attract dirt and cause more problems 

<<third, can I clean and lube the cables without removing the cables from the carb?>>

I lube mine without detaching.   I never clean them.  But if I was going to, I would remove them from the carb end.

<<I don't want a bunch of contact cleaner, grime, and lube pooling behind the cover.>>

Lube is OK.  contact cleaner and grime is not obviously.

<<Lastly, shouldn't the tube snap back quicker with the bars turned to the right? I realize it should be the same regardless of handlebar position, but I'm referring to when it is out of adjustment.>>

That usually has more to do with routing then adjustment.  With adjustment, your compensating for the inner cable length vs the out sheath length.   The amount of free play should be 1/8 - 3/16 at the throttle tube.

If your out of whack, put the top adjuster all the way in, then one turn out and lock.   Now use the lower adjuster to get the correct free play.   Then try lock to lock and see if it works correctly.

Jim.

My tube has the proper amount of freeplay, which means my cables are adjusted properly. So I'm thinking maybe some dirt is trapped under the tube. One way to find out.

i just had this problem with my 250x but its below freezing here. the throttle would stick and then it finally locked up. i put some gas line antifreeze in it and its works great even it -20c tempters. maybe not the same problem but worked for me