Sign in to follow this  

2000 cr250 sprocket size for trail riding

Hey,

I have a 2000 cr250r. I'm wondering what people are using for trail riding. I looking to get more low end power as I am in 1-3 most of the time. I currently have stock 13/50.

I'm only getting a new set because there due for replacement. I am fine with the stock size but a little extra low end would be nice.

depends on skill level, trails and pipe. A FMF gnarly and 13/51 and I'll go anywhere on my 2000.

I do have a gnarly pipe. How much of a difference does 1 tooth make. I would say that I am a beginner I have been riding this bike for about a year now. And have been riding for about 2 yrs.

Other than a Tassinari 111 reed cage I am totally stock and use 13/49 on my '01. Tight to moderate woods only. I'm a short shifter and this works perfect for me.

Edited by YHGEORGE

I thought that I wanted to increase the tooth size in the rear to give more low end power so I don't have to use as much clutch.

What exactly does a smaller rear sprocket do vs a larger?

It allows more top speed especially a with close ratio trans. It helps when I go to more open areas and also tames the hit. If you rev too quickly it makes the bike hard to handle in tight technical conditions. But you need to have enough torque to pull it when at slower speeds/low rpm situations. I have my jetting dialed in and am slightly rich on the bottom, that makes for better low end torque.The Tassanari reed setup also helps. My powerband is very smooth which works well for me in the woods. I don't like heavy flywheel weights and think slightly richer bottom end jetting works better. I also feel the stock pipe is best for a wide range of conditions. Remember,  this is all personal taste for my riding terrain and C/slow B rider ability.

I'm running 13/53. 1st is good for really tight slow going. It is not what I'd run for average use. I have a 14 if I need it.

Top speed is fine for my needs. I ran open trails this weekend and never wanted any more but would rev 5th out in places.