Sign in to follow this  

2016 FC450 Airbox Modifications - HELP

I have put about 20 hours on my FC450 and have fitted quicker opening throttle, ignition mapping is in the most aggressive and now I want to drill the airbox to let it breath.

Does anyone know where I have to drill?

Thanks!!

Have you adjusted the TPS? You should check it. .64 to .70 is where it should be. Start at .64 and try that. Anything over .71 you advance the timing. Mine was .57 from the factory. You need the TPS setting plug ($35) and a multimeter. youll find videos on YouTube showing how to do it. Pretty easy and what a difference in power and power delivery!!

Edited by 1 lunger

Heres the style my crew and some others we have seen locally has done (2x on 2T 300s and 2x on 4T 350s) everyone is happy with the results. MXA has a few articles on this getting the Husky 4 strokes to breath for MX (Google it). For my TE300 it really enhanced/noticed the torque/and low RPM power, but that's the way I ride anyway. Im sure its simply breathing better everywhere.

just added some gutter screen and epoxied it in place to keep the rats out....

airboxmod.jpg

http://motocrossactionmag.com/news/ask-the-mxperts-how-to-make-a-husqvarna-breathe

http://motocrossactionmag.com/bike-tests/2015-test-ride-husqvarna-fc250

Edited by robertaccio

To 1 lunger - I will take a look at the TPS, didn't know that it would make much such a difference....

Regarding the airbox, my bike is the 2016 model which has a different side panel... I did read the MXA stuff but it wasn't clear where I should drill....   robertaccia I like the gutter screen....

Sorry use your own judgement I wasn't thinking about the new design plastic on the 16 FC bikes. Just do your own design create a direct path into the airbox without altering subframe structural integrity.

Its been done for many years, go look (google image search) at the nineties 250/300 KTM 2 stroke enduros and the the Husky single cammer 4 strokes, both the Husky enduro and the mid nineties MX bikes, they have holes and screens all over the side panels for airflow.

The MXA 2016 450 shootout has the KTM450SXF in 1st with the Husky FC450 second, FC450 noted to not have the same power as the KTM due to airbox config (plastic subframe). Note also the MXGP Husky racing teams bikes have those super trick carbon subframes that breathe directly from the "grab handles" those are really air intakes that the standard bikes (ours) are kind of blocked off. I made a little more flow from there just by removing some white plastic that lays under the seat area, some guys have ground off some of the black plastic subframe ribs, but to me those are structural ribs and I wont touch them.

• Like 1

I was going to get one of those ehs pre filters skins and do it like my old TE 610ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1452092594.484529.jpg

I assume the subframe and seat area is roughly the same with the new plastics. Here is what I did in the "grab" handle spots which are really air intakes. PS you could always seek out and but the factory racing Carbon subframe.......to get max airflow ($$$$$).

IMG_1784.jpg

IMG_1782.jpg

To 1 lunger - I will take a look at the TPS, didn't know that it would make much such a difference....

Regarding the airbox, my bike is the 2016 model which has a different side panel... I did read the MXA stuff but it wasn't clear where I should drill....   robertaccia I like the gutter screen....

see above for 2016 drilling ideas