Sign in to follow this  

2013 crf450r randomly wont start no spark

Hey guys i'm new to here and to the 4 stroke world. I just purchased a 2013 crf450r last week. I rode it right before i bought it and it started a little hard but not bad. Got it home and rode it the next day but it took forever to start. 50 plus kicks. cleaned the air filter and adjusted the idle and put fresh full tank of gas and for the next day cold or hot started in less than 5 kicks every time. That night i checked the valves just to be sure and they were spot on and just had new piston put in about 10 hours ago. The next day went to ride it and it wouldn't start forever. once it did finally start i let it sit for a bit then as soon as i gave it gas it would rev up, back fire, and shut off. hasn't been ride-able since but will randomly start every once in a blue moon.  So i'll list the things i have checked so far. I am at a total loss now

-valves are in perfect spec

-the ohms from the stator are reading over 240 on both pulse generators and 2 on the yellow

-the fuel pump is squirting fuel when kicked over

-i am getting voltage at the leads of the coil when kicked over about 7 volts on light kicks

-no spark at the plug

today it started and idled for a few minutes let it run, then i went to go ride it and it shut off and would not restart. Thats when i started checking all of these things. It seems very strange that it is getting voltage at the coil leads but no spark. and it seems to be intermittent because i would have a horrible time trying to get it started and sometimes it would start but just would shut off when trying to go anywhere or give it any gas. what else could it possibly be. The pcm sends the voltage to the coil to fire correct? so if it is getting voltage at the leads of the coil it shouldn't be the pcm is bad? but i'm just not sure. i have been searching on here and all over the internet for 2 days and i'm at a loss so any help is greatly appreciated! thanks

I unplugged it...that's what I read to try in a few posts. Is there something else I should do to check it?

I checked the terminals on the coil for continuity and it was good there. I cleaned the ground there and reconnected. It's getting some juice to the wires at the coil when kicked over but nothing on the plug. I just checked the kill switch per the service manual and it got resistance when pressed and none when let off

Is there a way to check the ecu or the mil codes without buying that battery box and harness test thing. Like a way to just jumper 12v to the system to check for mil codes?