Sign in to follow this  

Steel & Titanium Valves Simultaneously?

I'm in the process of bringing a damaged and neglected 05 250 SXF back to life and have a question concerning valves.

The titanium intake valves are still good but the exhaust valves and guides were damaged and discarded before I received the bike. Is it acceptable to run stainless steel Pro X exhaust valves (w/proper springs of course) while using the titanium intake valves?

I'm in the process of bringing a damaged and neglected 05 250 SXF back to life and have a question concerning valves.

The titanium intake valves are still good but the exhaust valves and guides were damaged and discarded before I received the bike. Is it acceptable to run stainless steel Pro X exhaust valves (w/proper springs of course) while using the titanium intake valves?

Stainless Steel are heavier and usually require stiffer springs as you mentioned. By the time all is said and done you are not saving much money and now have a Frankenstein head.

Of course if you are really concerned about the performance, you buy new springs with any new valve (they wear out too).

For most of their production run over the years, Honda CRFs came with Ti intake and SS exhaust valves.  The reasoning for using SS exhaust valves was that the smaller diameter (compared to the intake) still kept the inertia of the valve the same as the intake (SS exhaust would not "float" any sooner than the Ti intake) and could thus lower costs and extend the life of the exhaust valve.

If given the option, I almost always install SS valves/springs over Ti when doing a head.  They last longer, can take more abuse, and you can lap the valve to get a better seal to the seat.  For the guy doing a head at home that is big plus as not everyone has a machine to recut seats to match a new Ti valve perfectly.  So if you are happy with installing SS exhausts, go ahead and do it.

I appreciate your replies and insight. I'm going to go ahead and give the SS valves a try to see how it goes--I found a good deal on a Pro X steel valve/spring set for a pretty substantial savings over titanium.

Edited by 1776NeoPatriot1861