Sign in to follow this  

00 KTM 640LC4 SUSPENTION (Minefield)

This is my first On/ off road bike, Ive had tourers and sports bikes before, but I had a go of a mates XT660.... in a nut shell loved it, so bought a 00 KTM640 LC4, on the log book its just that ! not a super moto/adventure or MX.

It came with road tyres on the standard 21"/18" wheel set up (with mechanical speedo cable) , so now they have the Endure noblies on and  ordered the rim locks.

What help I would like is, 

* As it has the normal way round forks and 17mm spindle up front, can I buy some later upside down forks with the bigger spindle of 20mm and just swap them around? The reason I want to do this is I would like to buy a set of moto wheels for the long Euro trips , but trying to find the hub sizing for these forks is like looking for rocking horse S**T!! :banghead: 

Or is it more like wait for some second hand wheels of same type to come on the market and re spoke onto new rims?

Thanks in advance Mick from the UK  :uk:   :banana:

Apart from these things I have added a super moto exhaust instead of the massive stock pipe with a mid box :confused: WHY!, and on the BST40 Carb ordered new needle, main jet and the bit the needle slides into as the needle had worn near the top.

Changing forks can get involved. going to upside down forks with a 20mm axle would mean changing the triple clamps, matching the steering stem and bearings to the bike.

advrider has "some assembly required" section which covers various experiences,   I know I have seen somewhere an information spreadesheet on various fork dimension for swapping front ends, I forget where.

you may be able to find 20mm ID wheel bearings to fit your wheel. Then if ypu have the axle holes and bushings (if there is sufficent material to retain strength) you could use a 20mm axle. aA different wheel might require custom spacers, and/or brake repositioning.

I think you have the WP extreme 50mm forks.  I had the same bike.  They are super awesome offroad!  I suppose you could go with a more street oriented 21" tire, but sounds like you really want some sticky 17 inchers?

I'll have a look on spare parts list for other crowns details and ring the local KTM people.

As for changing the bearings in some wheels, that what I have thought about in past, And I work in the engineering trade so I'll manage to kale something fit 🙂 

Cheers for replies