Sign in to follow this  

NO metal particles in oil after break in

I'm just wondering if it's OK to have no metal particles or small shavings in your oil after break in. I have read on forums that people said is perfectly fine to have a small amount of metal shavings/particles in your oil after break in. So I said okay let's go change my oil since I'm done with the break in process. I looked at my oil and filtered the oil with a VERY fine filter and the oil was clean. No particles or Shavings. I had 3 people (family) go through the oil with the filter and asked them if they could see any type of particles and they said no. If there isn't does that mean I didn't break it in properly or is there metal particles and we can't see them nor feel them in the oil? (we used very thin surgical type gloves). Just wondering, thanks.

I got a brand new Niche cylinder and piston top end kit.

No particles means the parts fit fine and it was well cleaned before assembly. It is the presence of an excessive amount of particulate that is cause for concern.

What make/model?

If you did a 2S barrel, you'd never find any metal.......

It's an 06 yz 85 bored to a 105. And thanks for the answer! I'm now not worried anymore. The bike runs perfectly fine. We also inspected the crank bearings and everything. So I guess I'm in the clear. 🙂

The only thing that needs replacing is the clutch plates. They are stock from 06.

You need to learn more.

Your bike does not have an oil filter.

The oil is for the clutch and trans. The premix is for the crank and piston/barrel.

What makes you think you need to replace the clutch? Age matters little. Too many replace parts because it is easy to do and not because it needs it. Did you measure the plates? Check the spring free length for sag?

Proper check is careful heat cycling of a 2S, then inspect the piston for highspots/heat seize, then  emery cloth smooth and reassemble. But this is beyond your understand at this point. Get your service manual (or buy one if you do not have one) and memorize it.

• Like 1

You need to learn more.

Your bike does not have an oil filter.

The oil is for the clutch and trans. The premix is for the crank and piston/barrel.

What makes you think you need to replace the clutch? Age matters little. Too many replace parts because it is easy to do and not because it needs it. Did you measure the plates? Check the spring free length for sag?

Proper check is careful heat cycling of a 2S, then inspect the piston for highspots/heat seize, then  emery cloth smooth and reassemble. But this is beyond your understand at this point. Get your service manual (or buy one if you do not have one) and memorize it.

I think he's saying he "filtered" the oil to observe any metal shavings.  Not that his bike has an oil filter... 'Mr. You Gon Learn Today'

Edited by bcssrmz250
  • Like 3

I just filtered the oil using a filter I bought. The clutch plates are worn that's why I need to replace them I just said they were from 2006. I can understand everything on my bike too. I think you just misinterpreted my reply.

And I do have a service manual, I don't even need it though because I know my bike well enough. To be honest it kinda makes me irritated that you think i think my bike has an oil filter. Of course it doesn't! And if I was that stupid my bike wouldn't be in the great condition it's in now! Next time ask before you go around thinking people are dumb and your mister wise old owl...

Ah the guy was just trying to help. Lol. Was a bit condescending though. I thought your post was pretty good even for the young inexperienced guy you are. ...jk.

And I do have a service manual, I don't even need it though because I know my bike well enough. To be honest it kinda makes me irritated that you think i think my bike has an oil filter. Of course it doesn't! And if I was that stupid my bike wouldn't be in the great condition it's in now! Next time ask before you go around thinking people are dumb and your mister wise old owl...

OK, but when you rebuild an engine that has no oil in it, then drain the transmission oil and wonder about its contents relative to an engine rebuild, it begs the question of whether you understand that one thing has nothing to do with the other.  The oil that you drained was never anywhere near the new piston or cylinder, and isn't the least bit pertinent.  That leads to someone such as myself who had 20 years of technical experience down before you were born to wonder exactly what you do know.

While we're on the subject of metal in the oil, it's virtually ALWAYS normal for transmission/clutch oil to have a whole bunch of junk in it.  Transmissions normally shed fine iron/steel filings into the oil (install a magnetic drain plug if you think not), and the clutch will normally add small slivers of aluminum that will be somewhat the more visible of the two.

And watch the personal epithets.  You're skirting the edges a wee bit.

• Like 1

Well, I understand the guy knows alot about bikes, and that's great! But, he said it's out of my understanding blah blah blah. Me and my dad back in the day (when I was a little kid) rebuilt a 1992 rm 125. After the rebuild we always had a very small amount of metal shavings in the oil (even rebuild we did). Never had metal shavings any other time. My dad has now been a bike mechanic for what, 15 years (not bragging) but he said that if there is metal shavings it's wearing the high spots on the piston. Just from my 'understanding' but remember it's out of my 'understanding', and I'm not trying to be rude, it's just what he said.

And I have had this bike since 2009 and it's been doing great! Just a simple question was all I asked... I guess I shouldn't be on here if I just keep getting comments like this. Ugh

Wait....

Your YZ 85/105 is a two stroke.

You just did a new top end (no case splitting etc.)

Your dad has been a mechanic for 15 years. (not bragging)

You rebuilt a 1992 RM 125 together. That is a 2 stroke also.

Your dad said there would be metel in the (transmission) oil from the high spots on the piston.

You filtered the oil as it came out of the case to see if there was any wear or metal shavings/dust in it.

Family members confirmed all this with latex/rubber gloves.

Your clutch plates are worn but you didn't check to see if they are within spec. in the manual.

You have a manual but you don't need it because you know your bike so the manual is kind of redundant.

Am I missing anything? 

Edited by PALMER84ONE
  • Like 1

Just a simple question was all I asked... I guess I shouldn't be on here if I just keep getting comments like this. Ugh

The question that you asked was a clear indication to every experienced mechanic that you had a fundamental lack of understanding regarding two-stroke engines in general.  You say otherwise. 

When you or anyone else can explain the logic of why you thought you would find metal debris from any part of the engine assembly in the transmission oil, then perhaps you will have a case, but as it stands, you may as well have looked for traces of your new piston in the water out of the kitchen faucet.

If you are going to come on and ask questions, then get upset at the answers and act defensive about what you believe you already know, then you may be right about it not being a good fit.  We can only go by what you ask and say here to gauge your abilities.  

Let's just move on with our lives and stop commenting on this. My bike is fine. Everything is fine. Now let's just shhhhh.