Sign in to follow this  

Good ATV For 9 Year Old Girl - Needs some guidance

Hello out there,

Myself, my wife and my 5 year old twins all have motorcycles and are wanting to get into some family camping trips this year that involve some riding.  The only problem is my 9 year old daughter doesn't like dirt bikes (she ran into 2 trees on my twins 50) however when she was their age she used to have a Polaris Scrambler 90 and seemed to like it.  I sold it because I felt she didn't ride it enough and was more focused on princesses at the time.  But now that she sees a couple of her friends ride ATV's and knows we want to do some trail camping she's getting interested again.  Only problem is I know nothing about quads since I've been on two wheels all my life and am unsure what a good beginner quad would be for her that she could grow into.  I found a 2011 Raptor 125 in excellent condition but I'm worried about the manual clutch since she'll be learning all over again at some level.  However it seems like the perfect size for her since it's in-between a 90 and 250.  However I've also read some older posts on here where people have their 9 year olds riding 90's still.  So now I'm not sure what to do and am looking for some advice.

Help!

It's going to depend more on your daughter. Is she really into it and gung ho, or more of a timind, ya I'll ride because the rest of the family is. If its the former than a manual clutch won't be much of an issue. If it's the latter, find a 90 CVT that is easy. As they grow real fast at that age, the 90 may only last a year or so before she feels cramped and may want to move up to a Honda 250ex, If she wants to go manual then the Raptor 250 would be a good next step.

That age was about the time my daughter was starting to get bored with her Race built 90cc and we started to switch her up to a Blaster, but she also started riding at 3 on a Suzuki lt50. Hope it helps.

Edited by ColoradoQuadRacer
  • Like 1