Sign in to follow this  

BIG HP rmz's

So i'm doing this thread to see wich combos you guy's are running and what HP #'s are you getting.

Right now i'm planning on a head port job by motolab 13:5:1 And stage 2 Hotcams. I would be running that with am FMF Megabomb and Factory 4.1 exhaust combo. 91 V Power gas.

I know my RMZ is pumping out more HP than a stock motor. If I had to guess, I am somewhere in the lower/mid 60's. However I do not have an actual number from the dyno. Maybe this winter I will get it to the shop to get some numbers. Having said that, HP means very little. I went after a strong yet smooth feel which I was able to achieve with my build. 

Anyways, I am running a full Yosh, Hinson, ISF, porting, 13.5:1 CP piston, balanced and blueprinted bottom end, Web Camshafts (race profile) along with race spec valves, injectioneering throttle body mod, remap and black ops coil. VP U4.4

Edited by BDubb106
  • Like 1

I know my RMZ is pumping out more HP than a stock motor. If I had to guess, I am somewhere in the lower/mid 60's. However I do not have an actual number from the dyno. Maybe this winter I will get it to the shop to get some numbers. Having said that, HP means very little. I went after a strong yet smooth feel which I was able to achieve with my build.

Anyways, I am running a full Yosh, Hinson, ISF, porting, 13.5:1 CP piston, balanced and blueprinted bottom end, Web Camshafts (race profile) along with race spec valves, injectioneering throttle body mod, remap and black ops coil. VP U4.4

What's up with that injectioneering TB mod?

They can do pretty much anything you want. To put it in simple terms, they mod it to acheive the performance you desire. I have noticed greatly improved responsiveness at lower RPM's. Lots of info on the site.

http://www.injectioneering.com/

When you say race spec valves you mean oversize valves? And which company blueprinted your bottom end?

The injectioneering tb mod works well. Valves basically come in 2 types. Flat faced and dimpled. The flat faced add a little compression and the dimpled are like oem. Some companies change the angle of the valve on the back side to influence flow in and out of the head. Its not too hard to build a 60 hp 450 these days. Bdubb, I'd bet yours runs pretty damn good!

• Like 2

The injectioneering tb mod works well. Valves basically come in 2 types. Flat faced and dimpled. The flat faced add a little compression and the dimpled are like oem. Some companies change the angle of the valve on the back side to influence flow in and out of the head. Its not too hard to build a 60 hp 450 these days. Bdubb, I'd bet yours runs pretty damn good!

I am very happy with the way it runs, it is strong off the bottom and then just takes off through the mid range and up top. It is for sure a very fast machine. It just keeps pulling. Of course it is much more bike than I will ever use but it is easy to ride and I get faster every time out. I now have a bike that I don't get that "I wish I had just a little bit more" feeling with in certain situations. Not to mention, IMO I have the best chasis in the class. The bike just feels good all the way around. 

Edited by BDubb106
  • Like 2

When you say race spec valves you mean oversize valves? And which company blueprinted your bottom end?

I honestly don't know how the valves are constructed... they are the valves that I was required to run with the cams. Stock valves were not an option. 

As far as blueprinting, I had a local guy do it. I think pretty much anyone that builds race motors does it though. 

Edited by BDubb106

I like the rmz450 design. Lots of potential in the motor.

• Like 2

I like the rmz450 design. Lots of potential in the motor.

If it could breath it would be a potent motor off the showroom floor. Once uncorked it is every bit as strong as any other 450. Sadly it takes a little time and money to open it up... along with a few guys that know what they are doing with the motor. 

It is for sure an easy bike to set up once you get going in the right direction. 

Edited by BDubb106

For sure. The ports need reshaping more than opening them up. They flow a lot stock. Not as much as a yam but close

• Like 1

For sure. The ports need reshaping more than opening them up. They flow a lot stock. Not as much as a yam but close

Exactly... a little research and a good builder and it is an easy fix. The lack of top end was really my only complaint with the motor in stock form. I was able to achieve a very strong top end and over rev, without sacrificing that potent low end/ mid range which is where I spend most of my time anyways.

I am actually surprised that I have not had to touch the mapping after modding my motor to the extent I did. I fully anticipated the need to bite the bullet on a Vortex but there was no need. She runs very clean on your map. The only time I notice any "rough" running is when I use fuel that has been sitting for over a month. That seems to be about the magic number. As long as I don't open the can before then it doesn't seem to make a difference. I will say that my bike does not like pump fuel at all even though it is supposed to be pump friendly according to most builders I have talked to. 

Edited by BDubb106

13.5:1 is right on the edge. Could go either way. Short shifters tend to ping or knock before revvers

• Like 1

More load on the enginge when its lugged.

When its revving its not working as hard