Most hrs on Beta made 4T?

I'm just curious, what is the highest hours on somebody's Beta designed 4T engine?

2011 520RS has 452 hours & 11k miles so far. :-) Castrol 10w40 dino oil in the motor & tranny. More singletrack miles than DS miles.

Water-pump seal+bushing+o-ring replaced at +300 hours. No leaks, but Dave at GetDirty recommended it before my Baja trip. Bushing was heavily worn. Intakes re-shimmed twice. Plastic oil-pump gears replaced again at 420 hours. All clutch plates still in spec. Radiator fan died & replaced @ 440 hours.

Only minor maintenance issues and a happy owner!

Catfish ...

• Like 7
  • Helpful 1

so the gears in the pump are an issue? or have the improved on newer versions?, i ride about 400 hours a year so hoping beta would handle it.

Yes the newer versions are a better, yet there are steel gears that can be very easily installed on either version that most likely will last forever. 

Yet 400 hours a year is a boat load of time in the seat of a dirt bike, are you looking to do a considerable amount of street riding?

Be aware that on any single cylinder motorcycle you still need to inspect/adjust valves and do routine maintenance. 

The oil pump gears are easier to change than adjusting valves, just saying...

• Like 1

Yes the newer versions are a better, yet there are steel gears that can be very easily installed on either version that most likely will last forever. 

Yet 400 hours a year is a boat load of time in the seat of a dirt bike, are you looking to do a considerable amount of street riding?

Be aware that on any single cylinder motorcycle you still need to inspect/adjust valves and do routine maintenance. 

The oil pump gears are easier to change than adjusting valves, just saying...

hi, thanks for the reply, i had a ride on a 390 beta and liked it, we use dirt bikes for moving sheep around the farm, so i ride everyday for work , the farm covers 30000 acres so we do a lot of hours all offroad. my rmx450 is due for replacement as it has got over 1600 hours on it in 4 years- with only one valve adjustment at 440 hours, i just do 30hour oil changes and thats been it. so other than suspension bushes, pads, discs, chains and sprockets, and a battery it has been fantastic for reliability so its hard not to just get another one, but i really did like the beta to ride- it had so much more low rev lug and control than rmx while still having a similar light and agile feeling, and it started easier than the rmx.  

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

hi, thanks for the reply, i had a ride on a 390 beta and liked it, we use dirt bikes for moving sheep around the farm, so i ride everyday for work , the farm covers 30000 acres so we do a lot of hours all offroad. my rmx450 is due for replacement as it has got over 1600 hours on it in 4 years- with only one valve adjustment at 440 hours, i just do 30hour oil changes and thats been it. so other than suspension bushes, pads, discs, chains and sprockets, and a battery it has been fantastic for reliability so its hard not to just get another one, but i really did like the beta to ride- it had so much more low rev lug and control than rmx while still having a similar light and agile feeling, and it started easier than the rmx.  

For that kind of duty the Beta 390, IMHO could be a good workhorse. Installing the steel oil pump gears, checking the valves on a regular basis, changing fluids and performing basic maintenance in my mind the Beta could last as long as anything else. 

My charging system is flawless with a great electric starter, the strength in the rolling chassis is as good as anything I've owned. 

As you already know the motors are like a tractor in the lower revs, and seem to enjoy plunking through the trails without a whimper mile in and mile out. 

The agility of the steering geometry make it so very easy to operate the Beta in super tight stuff almost telepathically. 

My 2014 450 shifts as smoothly as my old CRF450X, which I've always used as a benchmark as one of the smoothest transmissions I've come across. 

Could be fun!

• Like 2

• 2 years later...
On 1/11/2016 at 6:54 AM, catfish said:

2011 520RS has 452 hours & 11k miles so far. :-) Castrol 10w40 dino oil in the motor & tranny. More singletrack miles than DS miles.

Water-pump seal+bushing+o-ring replaced at +300 hours. No leaks, but Dave at GetDirty recommended it before my Baja trip. Bushing was heavily worn. Intakes re-shimmed twice. Plastic oil-pump gears replaced again at 420 hours. All clutch plates still in spec. Radiator fan died & replaced @ 440 hours.

Only minor maintenance issues and a happy owner!

Catfish ...

Damn that’s impressive for any bike.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Roon said:

I have a customer with a 2015 RR390, 380 hours, 10,000kms

http://www.dirtbikeworld.net/forum/showthread.php?t=123162

He has just bought a MY19 RR390 to replace it

keep this post going... seriously considering a 390 for putting around with my boys all the way up to weekend guys trips