Sign in to follow this  

09 Kx250F OVERHEATING?

Is there a way I can check the cooling system on my bike to see if the coolent is flowing correctly? It seems like my bike boils over way to fast. Like it will start to drip antifreeze out the overflow when I let my bike warm up for like 3 mins maybe its more but not longer then five minutes. Any help/suggestions appreciated.

Are you over filling it? Should just cover the inside fins.

Also, is your bike running lean? Remember that as an air cooled bike with no overflow reservoir, you can't just let it sit "warming up" for minutes on end. It needs to be moving to cool. If you don't get overflow when running, then you are fine. You can install a 1.6 atmosphere cap if necessary with no problems.

The coolent is just over the fins, so its not over filled. Not sure if it is running lean. Im sure you didnt mean air cooled as in "air cooled" lol but yea i know that when the bike isnt moving no air is going through the radiators - common sense. Guess I could try a higher ressure cap. Any one else have any ideas?

Edited by Ripping_RobMX

The coolent is just over the fins, so its not over filled. Not sure if it is running lean. Im sure you didnt mean air cooled as in "air cooled" lol but yea i know that when the bike isnt moving no air is going through the radiators - common sense. Guess I could try a higher ressure cap. Any one else have any ideas?

Yeah, cooled by the motion of air over the radiator fins!  :ride:

Are you losing water when riding? If not, you don't have a problem.

When riding really slow, like through tight woods trails where you need to be in first and using the clutch alot it will boil over If I dont stop and let it cool down. Note that this was in the summer. Prob around 75F. This winter is when it over heated idling because I waited longer then normal. And it was cold that day like 18F its not alot of water, just drips every couple seconds. Doesnt do it when im moving. Probably just over worrying about nothing. This is my first 4 stroke and my 2 stroke has never overheaded.