Sign in to follow this  

2015 ktm 450 exc engine failure

Hey All

yup 12 hours and she,s very dead

Sounded like oil starvation to me,lots of metallic crunching and now wont start

Have followed servicing intervals and am using the right motorex 10w 60 oil

Its under warranty but im curious 

Anyone else had this happen to their late Model kTM?

These motors have an amazing track record they are extremely reliable. Mine has 228 hours on it and runs like new.

There is a fleet of them in Costa Rica that has over 400 hours on them, be sure to tell us what you find as I am very curious this is odd.

If any bike was going to blow up, it should be mine, does pretty much everything from sustained high rpm, to light track, to trails , to jumps, but gets a  work out every ride. 240 hours and pushing towards 13,000 miles, mostly run on  $4  20w50 Valvoline dino MC oil, and only sees oil filters every few changes. Mine runs much better than new actually and no oil use at all.

Good air filter filtration, and lead fortification , those are my biggies for long life, even the valves have not moved(which is very surprising).

Obviously, yours came with something defective, as it showed up way to early for that to happen. Report back when you find out. Ktm is good on the warranty stuff.

Edited by Spud786
  • Like 2

I Absolutely ride it hard,but ran it in as per standard,im as suprised as anyone,this is my 4th out of the box and have never had a problems in the past.

I will keep you all posted as to warranty claim,not sure if im happy with a rebuilt bike,but a new engine from KTM will suffice..

I Absolutely ride it hard,but ran it in as per standard,im as suprised as anyone,this is my 4th out of the box and have never had a problems in the past.

I will keep you all posted as to warranty claim,not sure if im happy with a rebuilt bike,but a new engine from KTM will suffice..

Get a lawyer if you don't want a rebuilt engine. Document Everything possible including your visit to dealership etc. 

Get a lawyer if you don't want a rebuilt engine. Document Everything possible including your visit to dealership etc. 

why did you never come back and explain how your ordeal concluded?

• Like 1

The dealership is a 2 hour drive,i havent taken the bike in yet,but they know its coming,Im taking it through today so will know more towards end of week.

Yeah I ride the crap out of my 501, regular rev limiter testing, dunes, trails, hit 108 on the freeway the other day. Regular oil and filter service with Rotella 5-40 syn. Have 33 hours on it now. These motors seem damn near bullet proof, I'm impressed.

Curious if they find a reason for the failure.

KTM isn't any different than any other manufacturer.  Be sure you document the process and at the first sign of them doing what they always do, spend the $250 and have an attorney write the letter.  It's a sad comment to make for sure, but I've seen how KTM plays first hand and I am a pretty easy guy to get along with until it's obvious I am not the responsible party.  Not giving you internet advice, just sayin'............

From experience, you have to blow up their phone.  And, they flat out tell their dealer not to give out their direct lines, so that says it all in my opinion.

Please don't leave us hanging on the outcome and good luck.

So I'm guessing the number isn't the one listed on the KTM website... Does anybody have this number? I'm having a little situation with my bike that I need to get taken care of. I took it in to my local dealer 2 weeks ago, they entered it into the KTM online thing, now every time I call they look at the website tell me it shows "Active". 

must be faulty, 12 hours could be done in a few days, i hope they sort it quick for you. what area of nz?

South Island,Central Otago,3 week wait for parts,the Salesman doesnt want anything to do it,No bike to use in the meantime etc etc,funny how they're all smiles taking your money.

If there are any Problems with the dealer I will happily name them.They are a reputable Business and although hardly suprised  with their reaction,its disappointing.