Sign in to follow this  

How do you like your drz125l?

Dads looking into getting a bike and were deciding between a drz125l and a Ttr 230. What do you like about them? Do they have any issues? What years should I stay away from? Are they in general good bikes?

are those the only two models you are considering ? I would probably consider the Hondas also . CRF150F and the CRF230F.  The DR-Z125 is a neat bike to play with but in stock form it's really under powered. TTR seems to get reviews of being heavy and not much aftermarket parts . I've never tried the TTR 230 though 

are those the only two models you are considering ? I would probably consider the Hondas also . CRF150F and the CRF230F. The DR-Z125 is a neat bike to play with but in stock form it's really under powered. TTR seems to get reviews of being heavy and not much aftermarket parts . I've never tried the TTR 230 though

My dad won't be riding hard at all and will treat it like a child would. It will only be ridden on little trails around my house. What could I do the the fez to give it some more power?

I have one...it is defiantly underpowered stock, but not too bad. I'd say the drz is defiantly more flickable and substantially lighter than the 230, although the size of the 230 may fit your dad better depending on his size. The easiest mods for the DRZ are to open up the airbox and add a pipe...the stock exhaust is very corked up. Make sure to rejet. It's a fun little bike.

• Like 2

picked up a 2012 DRZ125L for the wife to learn on for right at $1k.. I thought the power was pretty good for a little bike, it's extremely light and really cheap to work on... had to get a new carburetor for it and found one for $16 on amazon... the front disk brake brings it to a stop quickly and the drum rear works good enough and is easier to keep from locking it up than a disc (my opinion)... I don't know how old you are or what your experience level is but a TTR230 is going to be significantly taller and heavier than a DRZ and if you're learning how to ride the bigger bike can make it difficult... If you give a bit more information itll be easier to help with the decision.