Sign in to follow this  

07 crf450 seized but runs fine now

Hey I'm new here and I was looking for some info. Maybe someone has had the same problem. I have an 07 crf450 and I was riding the other day and the bike locked up. It had oil and coolant in it and after draining the oil I didn't find metal I'm it. The cylinder looked fine after pulling it off and the crank moves freely and has no heat discoloration. I figured it had to be the crank because I have about 200 hours on it but when I pulled the side cover off of the clutch side a small metal chunk came our and I looked and saw it was the end of the impeller shaft. Do you think the motor could of just been getting hot from it not pumping coolant? It was locked solid but it sat for a few days and just out of curiosity I rolled the motor over and everything seemed fine so I started it in one kick and it ran great but I immediately shut it off so I wouldn't make things worse. Anyone have any similar problems?

Is the piece of metal steel or aluminum? If it's steel (meaning it's magnetic) then it makes me think that it could be a bearing going out! But I would defenitly tear into it to find out what is wrong and if it's just a bearing you could wait her just replace the bearings or take the opportunity to do a full engine rebuild (which is probably the smart thing since you have around 200 hours on it)

If it was the clutch side as you say the metal probably just jammed the gear and made the bike stall.

Probably either by it bouncing around in the truck back home or whatever it came loose "unlocking" it.  If it was the clutch side no way it would cause damage to the crank/piston/head etc.

I say rebuild the water pump and run it. 

Hey I'm new here and I was looking for some info. Maybe someone has had the same problem. I have an 07 crf450 and I was riding the other day and the bike locked up. It had oil and coolant in it and after draining the oil I didn't find metal I'm it. The cylinder looked fine after pulling it off and the crank moves freely and has no heat discoloration. I figured it had to be the crank because I have about 200 hours on it but when I pulled the side cover off of the clutch side a small metal chunk came our and I looked and saw it was the end of the impeller shaft. Do you think the motor could of just been getting hot from it not pumping coolant? It was locked solid but it sat for a few days and just out of curiosity I rolled the motor over and everything seemed fine so I started it in one kick and it ran great but I immediately shut it off so I wouldn't make things worse. Anyone have any similar problems?

The water pump is in the water pump housing so how can it get into the clutch area? Did you find debris in the clutch cover or tranny oil?

A crank cannot be checked without splitting the crank halves and when you do why not change the rod, pin and bearing anyway?

I have seen many cranks destroy the cases, cylinder, transmission and head. Nasty, expensive lesson.

...end of the impeller shaft.....

Probably got jammed in between the primary gear and the clutch hub. Then when you tried to roll it, the chunk fell out. Inspect the gears, replace the impeller shaft. If the barrel looks good, valve clearances still good, I'd say you dodged a bullet.

...end of the impeller shaft.....

Probably got jammed in between the primary gear and the clutch hub. Then when you tried to roll it, the chunk fell out. Inspect the gears, replace the impeller shaft. If the barrel looks good, valve clearances still good, I'd say you dodged a bullet.

this is what I meant.... easy fix although the shaft is pressed in so you will  probably need a shop to do that part for you unless you have a press.  cheap though, they should charge you like $20  or less to do it.

• Like 1