Sign in to follow this  

Best MX Boots for your $$$

I have sidi crossfire srs and a pair of gaerne sg11. Both are awesome.

Best value I can find, worldwide is at chromebuilder.com

Sidis I bought from them, took two weeks but I saved 200 bucks. Dutch retailer. Free shipping, no taxes, no customs.

580 dollar boot here in us, I got for 380. Thinking of getting another pair because the price is crazy good for a top of the line boot. Tons of color choices.

They run snug and slender.

we

Sidis I bought from them, took two weeks but I saved 200 bucks. Dutch retailer. Free shipping, no taxes, no customs.

580 dollar boot here in us, I got for 380. Thinking of getting another pair because the price is crazy good for a top of the line boot. Tons of color choices.

website doesnt come up.

Depends on your feet, if they are narrow check out the Sidi SRS - outside of replacing the soles you should get 5 years out of a pair easy.  Wider feet check out the normal Sidi Crossfire, A-stars or Gaerne, just be prepared to shell out some big bucks when it comes to getting new soles put on them.

Same place I bought them from. Awesome boot!

I have some sidi crossfire 2 srs, i have had them for about a year and a half and i ride maybe 2-3 times a month along with family outings were we take 4 trips a year to the sand and ride 3 times a day for 2 weeks and they are still in great condition.

The srs i think stands for sole-replacement-system and the TA-is the one that takes a cobbler to replace.

my dad has had his Crossfire 1 srs for 4+ years and he is about to replace his soles but he only ride about once a month as well as his 4 trips a years that last 2 weeks.

I'm looking at going with the tech 7 as well for my next ones as my old tech 5 were a bit too small to start with and are really old like almost 15 years old lol

In decades of riding I've had the high dollar boots (Sidi, Alpinestars), some of the first plastic boots (Heckel, back in the 70s), the classic Hi Points with the steel shin plate, and various mid price boots ($150ish).  I do stay away from the really cheap boots.  I couldn't even count all the boots I've used.  High dollar boots offer more protection, but at greater risk to your knees due to increased mass of the expensive boots.  This is not a matter of opinion, any physics teacher will be able to explain how forces are magnified when you put a bigger weight on the end of pendulum (your flailing leg in a crash).  I have found that as I get older it is much better for me to save the knees with a lighter boot.  Even though I did break a foot bone in a race a few years back, the decrease in stress on my knees has been worth it.  

There is another money saving strategy if you are lucky enough to have moderate sized feet.  I wear a 9, and it is usually no problem to find used boots on my local craigslist that a teen has outgrown after only a couple of rides.  These boots are basically new, and can be had for $50 -100 with a little patience.  

Finally, I will say that by far the worst boots of the last decade that I've used are Tech 3s.  Unless you want a boot that never breaks in, and has buckles that require tools to remove in the pits, yet will come loose during a race, I would stay far far away from them, no matter what the sale price.

• Like 1

I agree about the tech 3s... Those were my last pair of boots and I'll never buy them again... The buckles were almost impossible to get off and when I did get them off, it ripped the latch out along with them and then the final straw was when I took them off, it ripped the screw that held the latch out with it... JUNK!

661 flight. I got mine for $150 and rode them for 4 years. During those years I raced from the b class and now to the a Class. I sharpen my foot pegs several times a year and these boots took it. Still have all my straps too. I did loose one metal toe cap after year 3 but not a big deal. And if I didn't sharpen my pegs I wouldn't have the hole in the ride of them and the soles wouldn't be so chewed up.

Edited by ktm868

Personally boots are something I am going to buy from one of my local shops so I can try them on UNLESS I am buying something I already know fit's me.

I went through 2 pairs of $100ish boots before getting my current tech 10's from a buddy for $250 (perfect fit and best deal ever). He used them once then gave up the sport after hurting him self bad (Long story).

I've had them for over four years and just recently sent them to Alpine Stars to get full re-soles on both boots for $150 cus I was way too hard on them kicking my bike over. Now I don't see needing to buy new boots any time soon.

My point is once you get into any of the higher end boots and if you like how they fit, you should be able to many years of use out them. with maybe an occasional re-sole

In my opinion, the best bang for your buck is Alpinestars Tech 7. Pro level features had at 350 bucks. I tried on a ton of boots recently before purchasing, including Sidi and Gaerne models, just kept coming back to the Tech 7s.

I feel the opposite. I have some 1 season old tech 7's I'm about to put on Craigslist for $100. That boot has no feel and never got that broken in feeling even after an entire season.

I feel the opposite. I have some 1 season old tech 7's I'm about to put on Craigslist for $100. That boot has no feel and never got that broken in feeling even after an entire season.

What size are they?