Sign in to follow this  

Anyone using a Garmin Montana?

Just picked me up a nice Garmin Montana so ill stop getting lost 🙂

I have seen people using them in you tube videos but i was curious what mount everyone is going with?

I found a ram mount for it but it requires you to use one of their arm type extender pieces to connect the two balls together. Does Anyone make a direct handlebar mount for it?

Garmin makes one but it looks really cheap and says its for bicycles. 

Anyone got any ideas?

I'm interested as well.  I'm going to pick up a Montana before spring.

I'm interested as well.  I'm going to pick up a Montana before spring.

I just picked up a Montana 680T and its a very very very nice unit!

Yes expensive but considering its not an iPhone the touch screen works pretty good!

Used it this week in arizona but it was a pain to keep taking it out of my pack so really looking forward to a handlebar mount!

Other then that i really like it so far and since I'm usually the navigator/planner for my clan its a big big help

I have the Montana 650T. I purchased a powered and non-powered bar mount from Garmin. I have not used the powered mount, but they're identical looking. Both have a positive lock system. I like the non-powered mount because I can take it off in seconds and remount it on my mountain bike. I'm sure there's something out there nicer, but it's cheap and it works.

• Like 1

I have the Montana 650T. I purchased a powered and non-powered bar mount from Garmin. I have not used the powered mount, but they're identical looking. Both have a positive lock system. I like the non-powered mount because I can take it off in seconds and remount it on my mountain bike. I'm sure there's something out there nicer, but it's cheap and it works.

Thanks for the info so the garmin one has been durable enough off-road?

Got a link?

Edited by automagp68

Did you even read my original post?????

I specifically mentioned the ram mount and how I did not want to use it because of the requirement for the intermediate arm

The intermediate arm is the only solution. They make the as short as 1.5".

I made a bracket that bolts to the upper triple clamp and use a 2.5" arm. It holds the GPS right at the bars. Welded aluminum, black anodized.

DRZ_GPSBracket-Stocker1.jpg

The Montana looks real nice though I'd like to have buttons on the side for controlling the basic functions. I do not like having to look at a screen to determine what I am doing.

The intermediate arm is the only solution. They make the as short as 1.5".

I made a bracket that bolts to the upper triple clamp and use a 2.5" arm. It holds the GPS right at the bars. Welded aluminum, black anodized.

DRZ_GPSBracket-Stocker1.jpg

The Montana looks real nice though I'd like to have buttons on the side for controlling the basic functions. I do not like having to look at a screen to determine what I am doing.

Nice work

Any chance you have a pic of the complete setup?

Ever crash with it? How's it holding up?

Some. I use it on two bikes (different mounts, each specific to the bike

This is on my 2006 DRZ SM. The mount has an integrated turn signal post (note the black part sticking down)

DRZ_GPS_Mount.jpg

This the the DRZ with the GPSMAP 478

DRZ_GPS_Installed.jpg

Here is the GPS on my 2008 WR250F (uses the mount in my previous post)

WR_GPS_Installed.jpg

Here is a side view on the WR

WR_GPS_InstalledSideView.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks for the info so the garmin one has been durable enough off-road?

Got a link?

Absolutely the best.

I have a montana, and use the original Garmin bicycle mount. Works good.

I did that also with a 62 and lost the GPS 3 times before I got smart enough to buy a RAM mount. I'd rather ride than spend time walking a trail to find a lost GPS. 👍

Did you even read my original post?????

I specifically mentioned the ram mount and how I did not want to use it because of the requirement for the intermediate arm

William1 showed one way to work the problem. I also use the short arm on all of my installs.

Beside being a safe way to mount electronics on a dirt bike the RAM mounts offer a lot of flexibility, I have mounts on all of my bikes and an equipment cradle for each GPS unit and an Innovate AFR. 

Absolutely the best.

I did that also with a 62 and lost the GPS 3 times before I got smart enough to buy a RAM mount. I'd rather ride than spend time walking a trail to find a lost GPS. 👍

William1 showed one way to work the problem. I also use the short arm on all of my installs.

Beside being a safe way to mount electronics on a dirt bike the RAM mounts offer a lot of flexibility, I have mounts on all of my bikes and an equipment cradle for each GPS unit and an Innovate AFR.

Strange that both of you have completely different things to say about the garmin bicycle mount

One says he loves it and has crashed a lot with no problems

Other says he lost his gps 3 time

Now what..........

Depends on the crash. I've had my GPS come out of its' mount on jumps and I've had it stay in on them too. No rhyme or reason. I do run a tether (actually a power cord;)) and if I know a ride is going to be particularly rough, I use a stout rubber band.

If you crash hard enough, you'll have a yard sale. Helmet there, gloves over there, Jersey here, forks there, seat who knows, muffler under your butt, frame ....

If you have a mount that the unit cannot ever come out of, what may happen is the mount itself gets broken eventually. It is the nature of the sport. All the parts get abused.

Strange that both of you have completely different things to say about the garmin bicycle mount

One says he loves it and has crashed a lot with no problems

Other says he lost his gps 3 time

Now what..........

I am by no means a fast rider . Mostly slow technical single track. Sometimes a little bit fast sand, a lot very steep hills. So no big jumps or anything like that.

That said, I crash a lot :-)

Just picked me up a nice Garmin Montana so ill stop getting lost 🙂

I have seen people using them in you tube videos but i was curious what mount everyone is going with?

I found a ram mount for it but it requires you to use one of their arm type extender pieces to connect the two balls together. Does Anyone make a direct handlebar mount for it?

Garmin makes one but it looks really cheap and says its for bicycles. 

Anyone got any ideas?

there is a bar pad called "holeshot bar pad" made for iphones. since the iphone screen is bigger than the moontana's you could cut the foam in the bar pad to fit the montanna, and slip it in there. i've found the best place to mount a device is where the speedometer would normally be, or on the bar pad, for protection and visibility. 

the added benefit of the bar pad hiding that expensive gps is a nice bonus. 

• Like 1

I have an Oregon that I run on the Garmin bicycle mount. I dummy cord it to my handlebar as well. I like the mount because it's small and tucks away nicely. But I would not trust it without having my GPS dummy corded to my bars. I've only had it fall out of the mount one time. That was also the only time I forgot to dummy cord it. It was lost for about a week. Then out of some dumb crazy luck I just happened to spot it out of the corner of my eye off the side of the trail when I was out the next weekend. Still works great. I would also recommend some reflective tape on it or a nice bright paint job or something. Just in case. Mine is (was) a tan earthy color. It blended right into the woods I dropped it into really nicely. I still cant believe I found it that day.

• Like 2