Sign in to follow this  

2006 KTM 200 not shifting into sixth gear

When I bought the bike a always thought it was just a five speed but after my buddy rode it he said it wouldn't shift into sixth. I looked it up and the top websites with specs all say that the bike is a six speed. What could be the problem? Where do I start to look? Thanks in advance for any answers.

How positive, smooth, crisp does the bike shift thru the gears that you CAN get into?

Any sticking of the shift lever? Does it return to center properly.

Put the bike on a stand with the rear wheel off the ground and shift thru the gears by hand, while rolling the wheel by hand as required. Feel for any anomalies, inconsistancies.

Do some more troubleshooting and get back to us.

also check the shift lever to see if it is hitting the chain on up shift. There is a possibility that it only has a 5 spd in it if someone has messed with it. The 125 is 5 spd and they interchange. I would guess tho that it is the lever or the shift star parts under the right side large case.

To answer Squid_Racers question, it's like you hit the top gear on any other bike

To answer Trailryder42s question, the bike shifts amazing through all of the gears even on the stand

Mike in Fresno, the shifter isn't hitting the chain but Im not quite sure what the shift star parts are?

Thank you all for the quick replies

To answer Squid_Racers question, it's like you hit the top gear on any other bike

To answer Trailryder42s question, the bike shifts amazing through all of the gears even on the stand

Mike in Fresno, the shifter isn't hitting the chain but Im not quite sure what the shift star parts are?

Thank you all for the quick replies

It's likely you've got a bike with a 5 speed transmission. I ordered a transmission off ebay that was supposed to be from a 200sx, got it and it was a 5 speed (had to be from a 125) luckily I was able to swap a few gears to replace my broken third and end up with a 6speed still. Can't remember what I did exactly. The drum on the 5 and 6 speed is different though I do remember that. 

Thank you Squid_Racer, I'm not sure I want to tear into it at the moment to find out, but if I ever do a rebuild I will look into it

the shift mechanism is on the right side under the large side case. There you will find the other end of the shifter shaft, the spring, the star, the roller, etc. Some of these parts can come loose. The shift star will be visible and you can count the detents to see if its a 5 or 6 spd.

• Like 1