Sign in to follow this  

Drz400 loctite fixes my opinion.

I just installed a kickstart on a 2003 drz400e. As a matter of course I did the loctite fixes. Everything was very tight but I did them anyway. Starter clutch and stator bolts also very tight.

I just installed a kickstart on a 2003 drz400e. As a matter of course I did the loctite fixes. Everything was very tight but I did them anyway. Starter clutch and stator bolts also very tight.

That's good news, I've had my 03 E for 6 years and have yet to do any of the loctite fixes, didn't even know about it until joining TT a few months ago. Your thread has given me peace of mind

If anyone does venture to do the fixes I found a medium strength loctite that is oil tolerant. Loctite 243 is what I used. No sense torching things off or drilling them out later. 243 will have to be special ordered.

Is 243 a special order? I use a bottle every month or two at work. I thought it was common. 271 high strength or the like would be the preferred route. As is said in the write up not all bikes are affected only a select few.

Edited by Juicenewton

243 is an industrial supply loctite. I couldn't find it anywhere and had to special order it from the hardware store. 271 requires heat to disassemble. Figuring as how the original spec calls for no loctite just a torque spec the medium strength loctite should do fine. I'm looking to the future, what if I have to take this thing apart someday!

You could just use heat it's not very hard. No one said you couldn't use 243. I use it everyday for lots of applications. Someday doesn't sound anytime soon. The loctite fixes are preventative maintenance. So with the proper torque alone most people won't have catastrophic failures. With critical engine component fasteners id rather play it safe and if I'm going to remove them just for loctite then why go halfway with medium? Being inside the engine those components get hot and medium also melts with heat but lower temps than high.

I hear what your saying. Those Philips head bolts for the idle gear retainer were loctited in with medium strength loctite and I didn't think they were going to come out with my impact screw driver, but they did eventually. I don't like the idea of taking a torch to the end of the crank spindle if I ever want to take things apart. Medium strength oil tolerant will so fine torqued to spec. But many will use permanent loctite and that's fine too. :-)

Truth, I'm too fired up about the high strength. I'm pretty sure that I used med on the stator fasteners. Yah those Philips were ridiculous. I heated them with a small torch too.

Edited by Juicenewton

Ha-ha, did you do a kickstart too. Those 2 Phillips bolts were buuuuuuuuullllllsheeeeet. I think I beat on that impact screwdriver for at least 5 minutes!

Ha-ha, did you do a kickstart too. Those 2 Phillips bolts were buuuuuuuuullllllsheeeeet. I think I beat on that impact screwdriver for at least 5 minutes!

when i did my kick start i forgot a washer that goes behind the gear, only reallized it when i reassembled the whole thing with fluids and looked in the parts box and there was that stupid washer from step 2. and those two screws suck nearly stripped it before i realised it was a # 3 phillips thay should have made those in torx bits.

Don't take it apart just to "loctite" it.....holy smokes! LMMFAO

Why? Is it not alright to open the case halves? Am I not allowed to learn more about my bike? Edited by Juicenewton
  • Like 1

Why? Is it not alright to open the case halves? Am I not allowed to learn more about my bike?

Haha! You can do whatever you want. Bill's just stating that it's not worth taking it apart just to do the loctite fixes in his opinion. If you notice what time he posted, I'd say he just left a fine dancing establishment near his home. 👍
  • Like 2

when i did my kick start i forgot a washer that goes behind the gear, only reallized it when i reassembled the whole thing with fluids and looked in the parts box and there was that stupid washer from step 2. and those two screws suck nearly stripped it before i realised it was a # 3 phillips thay should have made those in torx bits.

What washer did you forget? The spring seat washer for the kickstart gear?

Haha! You can do whatever you want. Bill's just stating that it's not worth taking it apart just to do the loctite fixes in his opinion. If you notice what time he posted, I'd say he just left a fine dancing establishment near his home. 👍

Cool. I like the way you said it a lot better.

• Like 2

Cool. I like the way you said it a lot better.

Wait 'til you get to know him better. He's a great guy and will bend over backwards for you. 👍 He's short and concise! Edited by BlueHeart
  • Like 2

Figured it took a non-US resident to point out this little known fact.  Use the proper bit, and an electric impact and never come close to stripping out a head again.