Sign in to follow this  

Supercross Peick's rage was good for the sport

Weston Peicks rage induced fight was covered on multiple "regular" sports sites and can only propel the sports popularity. Was it overboard? Definitely. Should there be fists flying every race? No. Was it justified? Sort of.

"No such thing as bad publicity."

• Like 4

No, actually it's not. 

It makes a mockery of it... the world has changed and for a sport that is struggling for mainstream sponsors and coverage, it's a blow. Seems like JGR's new potential sponsor thinks so too... don't take my word for it.

Weston is an idiot, and this could have some severe ramifications for him going forward. All it takes is for said new sponsor to say, "We'll sign on, but not with that guy," and he's out. Happens in all sorts of major forms of motorsports all the time. 

And yes, there is "bad publicity..." 

• Like 5

Can't see this as a good thing when all the "stick and ball" sports channels only acknowledge supercross when something negative happens like the fighting or a huge crash. People who aren't familiar with supercross might think it is more like WWE wrestling than a real sport.

• Like 1

Not quite. This will draw in more viewers that want that agressive nature, but then they will ultimately see the sportsmanship in other riders and how exciting the sport can be. The whole sport isn't going into a downfall because one guy got antsy. I mean look at football, 90% of those guys are animals and should never be role models for any kid. But almost all top riders can be looked up to and admired without a doubt.

• Like 4

http://racerxonline.com/2016/01/11/3-on-3-anaheim-1-questions

Pingree nailed the answer IMO. Hell, even the announcers, RC in particular seemed like they have just been waiting to be able to say "He got Fries'd" for way too long.

Weston was completely in the wrong for throwing haymakers ON the track, but if it had been an incident back in the pits away from prime time coverage, the penalty probably would have been non-existent.

• Like 2

Not gonna hurt a thing. Supercross is by and large never featured on sports shows anyway so any exposure is good exposure.

• Like 5

Not quite. This will draw in more viewers that want that agressive nature, but then they will ultimately see the sportsmanship in other riders and how exciting the sport can be. The whole sport isn't going into a downfall because one guy got antsy. I mean look at football, 90% of those guys are animals and should never be role models for any kid. But almost all top riders can be looked up to and admired without a doubt.

Fans who want MMA can watch MMA. Fisticuffs in sx/mx are like fights in baseball, if thats what brought you there you are there for the wrong reason IMHO.

• Like 2

There are fist fights in every major sport, this is really not a big deal at all. People LOVE this stuff. We all know it's wrong but it HAPPENS.

• Like 3

Hockey has seemed to survive on mainstream TV and held its major sponsors.

• Like 2

Hockey has seemed to survive on mainstream TV and held its major sponsors.

Kind of like some guy banned from our sport but kept his sponsors...  it still sends the wrong message... 

Dungey on a Wheatie box is what needs to continue in our sport, at least he is someone to look up to and puts things in a positive light. 

Edited by jetfuel
  • Like 4

Kind of like some guy banned from our sport but kept his sponsors...  it still sends the wrong message... 

Dungey on a Wheatie box is what needs to continue in our sport, at least he is someone to look up to and puts things in a positive light. 

I don't know man, that take out on Stewart was pretty brutal.  😏

• Like 6

c

Can't see this as a good thing when all the "stick and ball" sports channels only acknowledge supercross when something negative happens like the fighting or a huge crash. People who aren't familiar with supercross might think it is more like WWE wrestling than a real sport.

Come on man, with Ralph ohhh'n & Awww'n like a moron, Monster girl titties everywhere, flame throwing towers and all of the tacky Monster Energy props probably means that people who are not familiar with SX already associate it with things like monster truck shows and FMX. The fight did not hurt the reputation of SX one bit imo. Hell, it may even bring in a few more viewers waiting to see more on track beat downs. 

• Like 9

Kind of like some guy banned from our sport but kept his sponsors... it still sends the wrong message...

Who was banned? I missed that one.
  • Like 1

I thought the second hit by Friese was

http://racerxonline.com/2016/01/11/3-on-3-anaheim-1-questions

Pingree nailed the answer IMO. Hell, even the announcers, RC in particular seemed like they have just been waiting to be able to say "He got Fries'd" for way too long.

Weston was completely in the wrong for throwing haymakers ON the track, but if it had been an incident back in the pits away from prime time coverage, the penalty probably would have been non-existent.

The RacerX review of the crashes is a great read.

What is on the FX1 channel?  200 MMA matches and a Supercross race weekly.

It might bring more MMA fans to watch Supercross.

The fight wasn't good for Peick's career.

I have to question hitting a helmet with a fist.  

It might shine a light on rough riding by Friese.

• Like 2

Who was banned? I missed that one.

Going out on a limb here and saying he may have been referring to James Stewart. I could be wrong.

The Weston fight made way more

headlines around the world than Anderson's/Husky 1st win, by far.

Good for the sport, probably not,

other than maybe some of the

riders might tone down their

take-out moves a bit

...but good for publicity, ...hell ya.

How many people were glued to

the internet after Holmes put the

hurt on Rousey.

The next race might break some

viewer records

• Like 1

No, actually it's not. 

It makes a mockery of it... the world has changed and for a sport that is struggling for mainstream sponsors and coverage, it's a blow. Seems like JGR's new potential sponsor thinks so too... don't take my word for it.

Weston is an idiot, and this could have some severe ramifications for him going forward. All it takes is for said new sponsor to say, "We'll sign on, but not with that guy," and he's out. Happens in all sorts of major forms of motorsports all the time. 

And yes, there is "bad publicity..." 

We are talking about the same network that is now married to UFC right?   I don't think this is going to affect anything if not make it better.  Yes it was a bad deal for the purist.  Fortunately for SX the peeps watching arent mainstream.  The demographic that watches Fox Sports 1 aren't the peeps that are going to church on Sunday  😉 

• Like 1