Sign in to follow this  

250 XC-W Petcock advice

I always feel weird typing out the word "petcock".

So, before I tear this thing out of my fuel tank, I was wondering if anyone has any advice or warnings for me? 

Turn the petcock to on, and a little fuel dribbles out and stops. Turn it to Reserve, full flow of fuel. About a gallon of fuel in the tank, all over on the left side of the tank. 

So, I'm assuming that the screen on the petcock has somehow gotten clogged up, and I need to remove it and clean. Right? Do the screens come off? What is best way to clean? 

So you're testing this with less than a gallon of fuel in the tank. What does the petcock flow in the normal ON position when the tank is full?

What year model? Stock tank?

There may be nothing wrong with it. The level of fuel that's currently in it may just be the normal level at which the ON position loses pick up. When I first got my 300, I thought the point at which I had to turn to reserve was a little off, with the fuel level in the tank. But, it's just the way it is.

The petcock screens I've seen were not removable, at least, not without tearing them up.

If they ARE clogged up with something, depending on what it is will determine how to clean them. Whether it's physical debris or chronic varnish buildup from old gas being left in the tank.

Edited by Trailryder42

If the screen is in-fact clogged up with debris, just take it out of the tank and swish it out in clean fuel.  Reinstall and swish some clean fuel in the tank and pour it back out too.  Maybe swish the petcock out again a second time after that's done.

I have found that it is usually the reserve that plugs before the "on" position since the reserve pickup is much lower and easier for junk to settle down into. I would try putting more fuel in bore taking the petcock off. But if you do take it off they are pretty simple

Edited by pre-mixed

Yep, it was just not enough fuel. Holy crap, this bike has a HUGE reserve. 

You'll be glad of that when you're far out away from the truck and not really paying attention to fuel usage. When it starts sputtering and you have to put it to reserve, forces you to have to think about it and reassess your situation. It's a good idea to have an idea how far you can go once it hits reserve. So reset your odometer every ride and know what your range is. I will tell you, it goes quicker than you think.

Edited by Trailryder42