Sign in to follow this  

factory motor power

Hi guys I am wondering what kind of power those motor produce, one of my buddy spent 7800 use sending his motor to pro circuit I don't know if it's anywhere near what the factory guys are running but can apparently it's pretty insane ( I will find out this summer when I try it). Do those companies like pro circuit, yoshimura etc build better and more powerful motors then a good performance shop.

I can build you a really nice small block Ford for a heck of a lot less than $7800. :eek:   Or, a whole fleet of really nice dirt bike motors.  Those guys don't use magic, they use parts and labor just like the rest of us.

• Like 1

Good to know I was wondering what was so great about the little pro circuit sticker on the motor that another performance shop could not do. My buddy says he would do it all over again and he also have a 4k RG3 supsnsion on his bike so really there is nothing left honda on his bike other then the frame and plastic. We are also talking about a guy that can afford it without problem

Good to know I was wondering what was so great about the little pro circuit sticker on the motor that another performance shop could not do. My buddy says he would do it all over again and he also have a 4k RG3 supsnsion on his bike so really there is nothing left honda on his bike other then the frame and plastic. We are also talking about a guy that can afford it without problem

Suspension is different.  There is so much fine tuning involved that it sometimes seems like magic.  It is worth having a pro do your suspension, but not necessarily your engine.  That, of course, is IMO, I've always been an engine guy so that stuff comes easy.

Did he compare lap times and race results before and after all the motor mods?  It has been my experience that more powerful motors just make riders shut off sooner. Suspension work however, often does pay off in lap times and results.

• Like 2

I was always told 70 percent rider 30 percent bike, suspension and bike comfortably setup for you will go a hell of alot further then a built motor will, unless your riding the stock motor at its absolute limit whats the point of sending it out to be built for 7800 sounds like a dick measuring contest to me. If your buddy can afford it no problem its whatever i guess. But if he cant run it to its full potential whats the point.

Oh I'm sure he is not riding it to full potential and knowing him he doesn't think he is. For him I think he was due for a rebuild and he decided to just go nuts lol. Hecsays the power is to much but hd said he would do it agsin especially the suspension, my point was those shop like pro circuit or yoshimura and other are they better at making great motors then a good performsnce shop you find near you

One thing I forgot to mention.  No matter how much money you fork over, if you take your KTM motor down to one of those guys you aren't going to get Ryan Dungey's motor back.  Those guys use parts that aren't available to us no matter how much you are willing to pay. 😉

• Like 1

Oh I'm sure he is not riding it to full potential and knowing him he doesn't think he is. For him I think he was due for a rebuild and he decided to just go nuts lol. Hecsays the power is to much but hd said he would do it agsin especially the suspension, my point was those shop like pro circuit or yoshimura and other are they better at making great motors then a good performsnce shop you find near you

They can but..... A local shop often just buys parts and assembles. If you are lucky, the guy in the shop knows what works and does not just install a laundry list and hopes it 'plays well together'. If the local shop was able to make engines with real power, they'd be making them for the pro's.

• Like 1

You could have CNC jug and cases made for that money. I say BS. Christ. Buy another bike instead.

• Like 1

I'm with Bigal, I'm calling bullshit on $7800 worth of motor mods. That's absolutely ludicrous, especially if he can't ride it to the full potential. You can find local shops to do the same work for a lot cheaper. They're all over the country. Hell, I have EBR and JM Racing right around the corner that both do FANTASTIC motor and suspension work and have been in the business for over 30 years.

Possible to build a $7800 motor quite easily. A GYTR head, Titanium Rod, Carrillo Piston, Complete Hinson Clutch, Tumbled and polished gears, maybe some DLC coatings, aftermarket ignition and boom, $7800 gone. Done right it could be ridiculously fast bike... Reliability, that's anothe story...

I had Ron Hamp do a head for me once. The head was about $3,500 A killer crank is well over $1,500

The problem with most people doing this, is the bike gets harder and harder to actually ride any place but in a field or some nonsense playing around. Terrible on a MX track for anyone but a pro. However, there are plenty of people with too much money that buy Ferrari's, Bugatti's, old F1 cars, Can Am cars and make fools of themselves every day. It is fun to watch. I'd love to be able to make people laugh at me more than they already do......

A titanium rod is like 450$...just saying...

A stock YZ450F rod is $65, nearly 7x less then a titanium rod. So if $450 is drop in the bucket for you then so be it, but for most it's not... Just saying...

• Like 1

My point is that 7500$ is a lot of cash to dump intof a single cylinder engine. Hard to justify unless it now produces 125 hp.

Ron Hamp would disagree...

Yeah.... there are three kinds of 'built' engines.

'Shop' engines where they/you order stuff based on advertisements. You hope it runs.

'Designer' engines that are built by shops that have their good wrenches build the racer bikes, you get the kid who pulled stuff off the shelf and assembles according to in-house spec. Better than stock, terribly expensive and not always great

'Builder' (Like a Ron Hamp) who actually creates your engine based on his skill and your requirements. These tend to be better and better with every iteration as the builder, no matter how good, learns a little something all the time. State of the art when created.