Sign in to follow this  

Do I need new valves? (What else to check) (WR250F 2012)

I've taken down the cylinder head and taken out the valves. 

This is how they look. https://www.dropbox.com/sh/3ppunzf4phbx2nq/AABTW7v_0mlrf78wNxO00WQta?dl=0&s=sl

What do you think anyone of them needing change?

And also, when i've ripped the bike this far, what else should I check on it? 

This thread is continued from my problems with the bike in this thread:

https://thumpertalk.com/topic/1153949-wr250f-starting-issue-can-the-timing-be-wrong/

Any help greatly appreciated.

Yes, they are bad. The contacting surfaces on both the valves and valve seats should be flat. Yours are concave/ round. I would replace the valves and have a machine shop cut the valve seats to match the new valves.

While you have the head off I would inspect the cams, cam journals, valve springs, piston, connecting rod, crank for excessive play, cylinder walls, and the head and cylinder for cracks. I would replace the valve seals, all gaskets, piston rings, and cam chain.

valve1.jpg

valve.jpg

• Like 1

Yes, they are bad. The contacting surfaces on both the valves and valve seats should be flat. Yours are concave/ round. I would replace the valves and have a machine shop cut the valve seats to match the new valves.

While you have the head off I would inspect the cams, cam journals, valve springs, piston, connecting rod, crank for excessive play, cylinder walls, and the head and cylinder for cracks. I would replace the valve seals, all gaskets, piston rings, and cam chain.

Thanks for your reply.

I've one more say that he Think they need replacing and then two others saying no.

​I guess maybe the best would be to take the valves and the head to a mechanic who maybe can tell.

If they need changing I thinking of buying a complete set of steel valves from Mitaka. I've read that they are pretty decent economic valves and since I'm not a pro rider I guess that would suit my needs.