Sign in to follow this  

Creaking bolts when applying torque?

Well, there was an interesting thread on lubricants and anti-seize, and how it affects torque values.   That has me wondering about a few things:

1. My triple clamp bolts are torqued dry, but they almost always creak when I torque them down, especially on the older bikes.  I've tried wire brushing the threads but it really seems to have no effect.  Should I use a lube or anti-seize?  They are taken apart often, so I am much more concerned about proper torque than seizing.

2. Although I don't purposely do it, whenever I grease a linkage I wind up with lots of grease on the threads of the bolts.  I've never worried about this in the past, but should I be cleaning it off before setting torque?

3. Finally, maybe my old man memory is faulty, but back in the early 90s I used to work in big liter bike engines a lot, and it seems to me that the shop manuals suggested lubricating cam cap bolts and such.  Am I mis-remembering?

Ya my 2 cents on this is.

On day to day hardware.

Get a good bolt kit for your bike.

I use anti-seize or correct loc-tite as required.

When I remove bolts I'll clean the threads with brake cleaner and a wire brush and compressed air or replace the bolts if the heads or threads look worn.

Where the bolt goes into, I'll also spray in breaker cleaner and blow out with compressed air. I usually have a couple of cans with the plastic tube for the nozzle.

I don't use a torque wrench. For most bolts I use a 1/4" drive racket with good sockets. Snug then give 1/4 turn. I got this tip from a bike mechanic that I trust but he uses t-handles.

If I was getting into internal engine parts I would be meticulous with cleaning and using a torque wrench

• Like 1

Beavis-and-Butt-Head-Season-8-Episode-2-Daughter-s-Hand-Tech-Support.jpgCreaky bolts, Yeup my joints creak in the morning bubba, sounds like bolt stretching, you might consider purchasing some replacement bolts, better safe than sorry, or purchase carbide tipped drill bits and ease-out kits. Hmmmmm bolts.......yeup good buddy....