Sign in to follow this  

Getting a bike back after it is stolen

As most everybody knows, it is very rare to get a bike back after it is stolen.  And if you do get it back it is trashed.  A guy I know had his 2014 CRF250R stolen last March.  Thought that is gone, never going to see it again, and it wasn't insured.  Last week he got a call from the local PD, they had his bike at the storage yard.  He goes down to get it fully expecting it to be painted black and trashed.  Instead, the bike was clean, even had some upgrades like the expensive unbreakable levers.  It had been maintained properly and runs great.  The cops caught some kid on it riding it down a residential street.

Amazing.

• Like 5

Who was the one that stole it? The kid? or someone he bought it from? 

Many, many years ago, I worked for Mazda. We had a few RX-7's that had full body kits, BBS rims, P7 tires, Recaro seats, yadada. Two were stolen from the headquarters. Three months later, we got a call from the NYC police. Both cars recovered. They both had more upgrades, new tires, new suspension, Brembo calipers and had just been detailed.

I've had bikes stolen, when recovered, trashed. It is why I have insurance.

One thing I forgot to mention.  One of the "upgrades" the bike had was red, white and blue spoke skins.🤣   They were quickly removed.

Both me and a buddy had our bikes stollen around the same time about four years ago,

My buddy's was locked up is a somewhat secure underground garage but the security camera's failed and did not record. He bought a used bike a few weeks later then the cops called a week later telling him they found it out in a corn field about 100 miles from where we live. Thing had been ridden once a ditched and looked exactly like the day it was stolen

Then my bike got stolen. There was dude stealing bikes all some and using them from B&E's. Cops knew exactly who the dud was but could not catch him. About 3 or 4 weeks later I was almost going to buy a used bike and I get a call from the cops. Well reported B&E. The cops showed up with the dogs. Buddy was trying to ride my bike away, got cornered, dropped the bike and tried to run. Cop dog caught him and mauled him. Cops and I were both extremely happy. When I got the bike it was missing the front plate plastic and had about 15mins on the hour meter. Again looked just fine.

Both me, my bud and the cops where all extremely surprised we got the bikes back cus it's rare.

We both now keep our bikes as secure as humanly possible. IE on guard chains/locks, alarmed disk locks, security systems/cameras etc

• Like 1